IGNORED

What makes a Z a Z? What modifacations go too far to be called a Z?

hls30.com

What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. What Mods make you question whether a Car is still a Z?

• A non L series Engine
    • A non Z Engine
    • A Non Nissan Engine
    • Non Z ECM transplant
    • Non Z ECM
    • Harness Grafting
    • Too many Interior modifications
    • Too many Exterior Modifications
    • Any deviation from as the factory made it
    • ANy deviation from stock not covered by parts supercession

Will, that LS1 with the covers is a very easy/friendly engine to do simple engine service if needed , plugs, coil packs,water pump,fuel rails, ac-alt belt and to do an oil/filter change is a simple none messy task , in a way just as my former L 24 ;)

Edited by 72 OJ

Any cover that has no other purpose that to hide what is under it should not be there-even when used as a bilboard for a bright red heart! My Z32 has a comparatively small cover over the valley of the intake, it is purely cosmetic, and still there-I even painted it, but when I have time to figure out how to de-clutter that COVERED area it will be gone-that area is spotlessly clean-I take off the cover when I detail the engine.

I still think a purely cosmetic cover HAS NO PLACE under the hood of a sports car though I do not see a reason not to make a cover with any other purpose more cosmetically pleasing.

Edited by hls30.com

Will, it aint no billboard, that is her proper smooth look, sexy just as the rest of her :cool:

I give your car more credit than that-I see that cosmetic cover under the hood as being beneath the quality and promise of your car...it is odd to me that you see it as a part of what she is...must be the feelings/associations/connotation you hold for the word painted on it and not what it actually contributes...

it aint no billboard

It isn't not a billboard, so it is a billboard...

Those covers do have an additional, real purpose besides hiding cables, wires, etc. My I30 has one emblazoned with the Infiniti design over the forward head of the v-6. At first I thought it was just there for looks, but I found it's quite handy in preventing one from accidentally placing hand on hot engine... Some designers may go more for the utilitarian look, trying to integrate that piece of plastic, while others use it as something pretty to look at; something to get your attention.

Will-

You could always paint wires and things on the plastic covers. How about transparent covers?

I still like the older vehicles that were so pleasingly designed so that it looked nice even with the wires and parts (coil, carb/chokes, heat ducting, coolant hoses) all over. Some were more like "art" than a machine.

IMO, the covers are there to make the engine more politically-correct, so people in suits or women don't need to touch anything dirty. The engineers put them on so mechanics charge you for the extra time it takes to remove and replace them. With the exception of a few that cover electrical items, belts and pulleys (the dangerous parts) they just keep the dirt and heat trapped close to the engine and discolor, making you want to buy a new vehicle that much sooner.

I haven't seen many plastic covers that couldn't be thrown away without changing the operation of the engine.

I give your car more credit than that-I see that cosmetic cover under the hood as being beneath the quality and promise of your car...it is odd to me that you see it as a part of what she is...must be the feelings/associations/connotation you hold for the word painted on it and not what it actually contributes...

Interesting note, I am in the process of having a custom made cover, yes in red but with the Z emblem and the LS1/VETTE logo ,also some custom made side emblems ;)

Edited by 72 OJ

I still like the older vehicles that were so pleasingly designed so that it looked nice even with the wires and parts (coil, carb/chokes, heat ducting, coolant hoses) all over. Some were more like "art" than a machine.

Since newer cars have very few components and fluids that can, or need to be, checked or serviced by the owner, the trend has been to enclose everything under covers for a tidy appearance. Hundred thousand mile tune ups and totally sealed automatic transmissions have become the norm.

I still prefer the "old" days when you could open the hood on a car and see the engine and all its components as well as the ground below the car. Many of the older engines were works of art just like the car's exteriors.

Dennis

Since these are Datsuns shouldn't the curtains match the drapes? Ya know...engine compartment should be the same color as the car's exterior? And before anyone whines about mine here are pics.

Chuck

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55680[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55681[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55679[/ATTACH]

TomoHawk,,,,,here is a clear example.neat, clean, functional,,,,,,,it shows PRIDE ;)

Interesting note, I am in the process of having a custom made cover, yes in red but with the Z emblem and the LS1/VETTE logo ,also some custom made side emblems ;)

I know its wrong, but having seen one with this on the air cleaner once I feel obligated to share.............CHEB-Zee.