IGNORED

So Cal Wildfires

e_racer1999

I was a LA-City Fireman for 22 yrs and I am telling you . Just because you live in suburbia surrounded by other homes there is no guarantee that you are safe. The big thing is wood shingle roofs , that and if there are debris in the rain gutters . Take all patio furniture with pads and put them in the garage. With the wind and low humidity it there is a structure a mile away on fire you can be in grave danger from blowing embers. When they show the firemen spraying water on the roofs of burning buildings under these conditions. They are just trying to knock down the embers flying in the air off he roof. I was on the Bel-Air fire that swept through Bel-Air , Brentwood and ran to the beach. The fire crossed the gap of the San Diego freeway more than a quarter mile like it wasn't there. They are recording wind gusts over 100 miles an hour. This is some heavy duty stuff down there. People are going to die. Way back when before the area was settled. The Indians would light the area on fire before they left to go north for the summer . They called the wind Santana ''devil wind'' . Some where along the way the name morphed in to Sana Anna. Gary

Something about being sued for trademark or service name infringement, no doubt!

Drove through Devore and past the Arrowhead fire going up the backside of the Mountians to Lone Pine.Nice and clear up here, but I will have to find my way back through this mess on the way back home Wednesday or Thursday...

Truck felt a lot more stable today driving through the winds with 1800# of tool boxes in the bed than it did Sunday driving the same route through Cajon Pass with the bed empty to and from El Mirage...

Very smokey and small ash flakes in the air and all over the place this morning. The smoke looks like a dense fog. Got all the windows closed and the TV News on.

Could see the flames from the Rice Fire from my back yard last night, about 7 miles north and east of my location.

We are in a safe area according to the TV News.

They are saying that 1200+ structures have burned.

man, it's gettin closer..... i've got about 15 miles on the N, S, and E

Jason, if you haven't already:

Fill up your evacuation vehicles with gas now...not later!

Pack up some essentials/valuables and put them in the car.

Include a variety of emergency foods, water, clothes, a couple blankets, etc...

Throw it all in the car(s) and be ready to go.

I had to do this in Big Sur back in 1997 when I could see the fire cresting the ridges all around where I lived and worked. Even though it was a five minute walk to work, I drove just in case my manager and I were given the order to scoot.

Just be ready, and be safe.

absolutely. we have 6 vehicles at the house (although between 3 people LOL):

the Z, the 510, the tracker (it's not running right now), the infiniti, the motor home, and roomie's truck. we've been getting important stuff all together (papers, guitars, welder) and getting ready to go just in case. we have places closer to the coast we can stay at if it comes too close. from what it sounds like a lot has been contained. if the wind reverses tomorrow like it's supposed to, we should be okay without evacuating. there are some fires that aren't expected to be fully contained until ~nov 4

The fire came within 1/4 of my sister's house Tuesday morning. She lives in northern San Bernardino, about 3 miles northeast of us. We could see the flames from our house. The fire crews were quick to put it out and, for now, the danger in this area has passed. What is particularly galling is the fact the fire, as well as many of the others, was deliberately set. My daughter-in-law lives about midway between our location and my sister's home so we're all in the same area. We have lots of smoke coming over the mountains from the Running Springs/Lake Arrowhead area.

The fires have been headline news down here in Oz.

Talk about devastaion !!!!!!!. Those 100 mile an hour winds would be carrying embers for miles, some starting spot fires.

During our last bush fire season, there was a T.V. ad that simulated an ember travelling miles, blown by the wind, and landing on a house front verandah, on a coir "welcome" mat, resulting in the house burning.

Make sure the guttering is clean, the surrounding area is cleared of combustibles, have your car/s packed and ready to go at a moments notice.

Don't take chances you blokes in the effected areas, I'd really like to read your next post instead of an obituary.

I'm thinking of you.

Rick.

Look up ! We're sending a Martin Mars bomber . They are coming from Vancouver Island , and scoop 10,000 gallons of water in 23 seconds .

Of course $1200 per hour private contract , but it is a sight for sure , flying slowly with 4 engines vibrating the ear drums , and the massive wingspan !

Hope it all turns out better , but at over 1400 homes lost , help can't come sooner !