AndysPlit's Content - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

AndysPlit

Community Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AndysPlit

  1. Sounds like a good plan. I passed smog earlier this year, not only feeling good about getting the test over with, but getting the car properly dialed in. Many seem to overlook the value in the latter part. I'll be changing my policy in the next few months, as well.
  2. Wow, congrats. That old plumbing is looking nicer than mine, haha. So, now that Leno's Law has passed in CA, do you still plan to smog her? If I remember correctly, you're in CA, right? You need either classic car insurance -or- keep the miles below 1k annually. The law for our year goes into effect on January 1st.
  3. Hey, been following your progress. Great work! So, uh...Are you close to smogging it yet?
  4. Here’s one set on eBay. It’s rough, but will probably work. https://ebay.io/m/kDJHF5
  5. Yes, the ones I have on right now are (I believe) the most common of the 280zx wheels. And just a bit too shiny and modern for me. If the seller doesn't back out, I'll be picking up the iron crosses this week. 215/70R14. Either the Cooper Cobra's, or Futura GLS. Futura is owned by cooper, it's just their cheaper non name brand option. Slightly different tread pattern. Either way, white letters are a must🙂 Yes, I realize that these tires are technically "too big". 1.2 inches bigger than the stock recommendation of 195/70R14 to be exact. But on stock springs, I'm thinking it will be OK and I'm hoping the stance is very similar to the blue car pictured above. We'll see. The current tires are completely shot and dry rotted anyways, so this is an expense I'll be bearing regardless of how the smog test goes. yes, I think with 215/70’s you’ll fall in line with the blue car’s stance. Your ride will definitely be softer and absorb imperfections in the road. The raised white letters will add a classic / iconic look.
  6. Good luck on the injector rebuilds. I’ve seen a few sets of the ZX iron cross wheels for sale. The ones you have on now are even more common. I have the 15” ZX 82/83 turbo rims. I’ve been looking for a single wheel to replace one of mine, which may take a while. What tire size are you thinking for the wheels you’re looking for?
  7. I totally feel you on getting a 78 280 to pass smog in CA. Great list. Here's a few recommendations to add based on my own experience: Perform a hot valve adjustment. Consider an additional small fuel filter between the tank and pump just to be safe. Of course, it needs to be changed out every so often. Get new NGK plugs and wires. I like the NGK 4291/ZFR6F-11 V-POWER PREMIUM COPPER SPARK PLUGS. Test your EGR. That was the reason why I failed the first test. Replacement is easy if cleaning doesn't remedy it. Testing procedure is in the FSM. I would just get a new set of fuel injectors. Aside from replacing the rubber collar on a couple of them, my set from MSA have worked just fine. If you can find OEM injectors, even better but I believe those are hard to find. Make sure your AFM is set back to factory. Atlantic Z has a great article on them. I always drive my 78 on the freeway for about 20-30 minutes before the test.
  8. Thanks! I'll look into the bumpstops. For the moment I'm only interested in mounts, etc around the shock tower. I was gonna perform the job myself, but I'm opting to have it done at my shop. I don't have the time .
  9. I am about to change the shocks and struts in my 78 with KYBs. What other parts must I consider also changing out when this job is performed? I heard strut mounts might be good for starters. The car has over 300K.
  10. My band Peeling Grey used my Z in our latest video. Enjoy!
  11. I contacted the seller and said no way is he getting 40mpg. He won't even do the math with the numbers he provided . 1979 Datsun 280ZX 2+2
  12. Hello everyone. Ron Wenderoff passed away yesterday at his home with his wife Kay by his side. He was battling cancer for over a year. Some members of Group Z (based in the Los Angeles / Orange County areas) might remember Ron. He was famous for sporting his cowboy hat, handlebar mustache, and showing his passion for Z Cars. Ron was the owner of a modified 73 240Z, and then later a modified 76 280Z. His wife owned a 280ZX turbo, and in later years a 300ZX (Z32). Ron was my high school teacher, and we stayed in touch since I graduated in 1995. He was the reason why I started attending meetings at Fudrucker's, and the annual Motorsport Auto West Coast Nationals, where I have had my 78 280 on exhibit since 1998. Above all he was a good friend and I will misss him. To those that knew him, his funeral is tomorrow (Friday, September 20th) at Mt Sinai, 5950 Forest Lawn Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90068. Services start at 2pm. Please bring your Z if you attend. That is how he would want it. https://www.facebook.com/ron.wenderoff?directed_target_id=0
  13. That's an appendage from the 240. The 240's had storage compartments behind the seats on the rear deck. Yes, quite useless on our 280s .
  14. I am liking this thread. Love the ambition! Watching with interest indeed.
  15. I will be attempting this for the first time relatively soon. I'm a little scared, but I'm up for the challenge. I just replaced my 280Z raditaor and water pump, and have done other fixes on my own.......It cannot be more difficult that replacing the radiator on a Z31 . That is a job I will never ever do again on those cars.
  16. So far I've found the leak at the heater hose mentioned. I'm hoping that's it. It still puzzles me how some of the coolant got on the side rail though.
  17. Thank you! I will look into that.
  18. How's the car coming along?
  19. I just installed the Champion 3 Row Radiator, and a new waterpump recently. All seems fine, but I have been noticing coolant leaking along the chassis' side railing (if you will) on the right side. This is below the spark plugs and the fusible links. Around that area I've seen small drops of coolant on the top of the starter, and even on the side of the battery if you can believe that. I will post pictures if needed.
  20. Z Car Parts.com -- Motorsport Auto -- Home All the info you need is on this site.....
  21. It's a good place to at least get ideas and meet people
  22. The West Coast Nationals is next month. Hope to see you there man.
  23. Wow.....I've been running a 160 thermostat for years!!! . An old Z garage that closed out here years ago talked me into it. Hmmm....I will definitely take the advice on this thread. My gauge still reads really low. I'm wondering if it has gone bad...The gauge that is, or the sending unit.
  24. very inspirational thread. LA? I'm in Altadena.
  25. I'm not sure if my gauge is reading right at 130-140 degrees. I have a 160 degree thermostat along with the new 3 row. I'm curious what others are running at that have the same radiator?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.