IGNORED

What defines a 240Z a classic?

hls30.com

What I am looking for, Enrique, is why you think yours is a classic?

We are all Z lovers, if anyone should know why, it should be us!

We chose to spend our money, sweat, time and energy on our Zs and not other cars, why? The why is what I think makes a car a classic, I just want to identify it!

What other people think about why we did it is opinion, what made us choose to do it is fact!

Then I have misunderstood the question.

You did not ask what makes me fond of the Z, you asked what makes the Z something to be fond of.

My personal definition would not entail the term Classic. That is not why I wanted one, nor why I bought it, nor why I have done so much work on her.

That she is considered a classic by others, to me just means that others find her to be desireable. Just like dating a gorgeous tall model. While some guys would desire the car for the prestige of owning one, just as in dating a model. Others would rather enjoy the thrill of having her company.

There is just something about my Z that has always appealed to me and given me pleasure.

And like dating a model, a gentleman never discusses what pleasures he shares with his lady.

Enrique

hhm Classic , I think if you compare other notable production cars that are considered classics you will find they started a long notable production run and race history as well as a body style or name that causes a stir within people who admire them and to the owners. maybe not all of the above but atleast one, the k car wasn't produced for 25 years nor was it raced ,the corvette, mustang, mgb, jaguar and mini was as well as many other classic production units, < production meaning they made enough where if you wanted to buy one you could , not a 71 aar cuda hemi or mako corvette> but the whole line of that car, but I agree most above all else its the love of the car weither you own one or not most people ask about your z if you drive it around town , my brother has been stopped several times to have questions asked or once to have a father tell his son how he used to have one, classic yes to many , but to me it still my baby like a tall striking model or a short bland woman you love her either way :love:

I think the early 240z is a classic for several reasons.

the first being it's excessive demand on release it was always a popular car and very sort after.

It has a strong and successful race history meaning it was an excellent platform to make go fast not just in a straight line but around corners.

The sexy looks haven't changed it was designed for an era but designed forever. A great car looks good today and tomorrow a good car looks good today.

The dash I believe was the first of it's kind a trademark copied by many. The dodge Viper has a similar style.

I think a classic is a car that is so good others decide to copy it. I think many of the styling cues of teh 240z have been passed on to other cars.

In Australia a 240z is a rare site and 260z getting rarer and even now 280zx not so common well a good condition one anyway.

So rarity also helps to make a car classic because people want what they can't have and often if they can't find it easily they can't have it easily.

The fact that so many examples were butchered during the 80's early 90's doesn't help with an all original car being easily found. If they were easy to find in original condition they'd be worthless. Everyone enjoys being the first person to play with something and sometimes we just enjoy having it as a time capsule that represents an era where car manufacture was perhaps in alot of ways better.

I could go on and on but at the end of the day I think a classic is what the others have said something that when you see it makes you happy or excited sometimes i get extremely excited by an old car.

There is a big difference between lets say a $60k BMW with some office W@n%er showing off in compared with a throbbing exotic engine note from a car that's got gleaming paint and you know he only brings it out every so often.

I just love the Z because I love the way I sit in it. I love the dashboard design the gearstick position, the long friggin bonnet and the torquey yet relatively small capacity engine. (Compared with an 8). Everytime i just get the car out and down the street I love the first feeling of the throttle and the noise my car makes it stirs something inside thats for sure.

Also I too notice alot of attention from people when driving I've been asked many times about the car it starts conversation with people i usually wouldn't speak with.

I get double takes all the time but I try to ignore it these days as I have to keep focused on the road not how much attention i get LOL.

ROFL

Maybe we could have a photo contest to get people to take that special picture to show why they reakly like their Z or to illustrate their idea of 'Classic." Not just the typical 1/4-angle, but some something really DIFFERENT.

I resist giving suggestions because it would give my secret away. :D

There is a group of car collectors that defines the term "Classic" very well and may I introduce you to the Classic Car Club of America. Most any car collector will direct you to this definition and regardless of what we say about our Zeds, this is the recognized definition.

"...fine or unusual motor cars which were built between and including the years 1925 to 1948. All of these are very special cars which are distinguished by their respective fine design, high engineering standards and superior workmanship." They were usually quite expensive when new with relatively low production figures.

There is no question in my mind that the Datsun 240Z is a significant automotive milestone, including fine design and high engineering standards, but using the word classic is like playing the 240Z on the "elevator music radio station" when we all know it belongs on "rock and roll". I would hate to see one of you stick your foot in your mouth and use the term incorrectly as I have.

Check out the CCCA glossary of terms http://www.classiccarclub.org/Glossary.htm

As I'm reading through this I decided I've just got to jump in. Yup, here it goes...

"Why the Z is a Classic according to a guy who's been searching for the right one"

Seriously... I'd hate, yes hate, to see the Z grouped together with automobiles of the likes as Fords Model T, Buggati's Type 43, and (sorry Carl) Dusenbergs. The deal is, these are all great cars and made their mark on the industry in many wonderful ways but if they had their choice they would not hang out with the Z on the weekend. Putting it to music, these cars are listening to NPR and the Z is cranking the local Classic Rock stations. Both stations are classic each in their own right but one rocks out a whole lot more than the other.

From the moment the Z was put up for sell she bacame a classic. Damn near impossible to obtain, more demand than supply, Affordable, smooth sexy sleek lines, a stout engine, rock solid manufacturing, and a simplicity to be reckoned with. Not gawdy in any way. Over 34 years later they get looks comments and recognition any where they go. Ever been in a Z pulled up to a light and the fellow next to you in the Mustang GT or Z28 gives a rev and a nod? This guy does this out of pure recognition of the Z as a true sports car. People know them. "Hey that's a Z." , "Look at that Z car honey."

Classic? Lines, power, performance, recognition, quality, and a following that stretches continents.

My 2 cents

Nate

Hi Guys:

First and foremost the definition of any term is based on the best

evidence, and in this case the best evidence is the definition that

comes directly from the dictionary.

Classic: {F or L; F classique. fr. L classicus, of the highest class of

Roman citizens, of the first rank} 1. a: of recognized value : serving

as a standard of excellence, b: Traditional and Enduring, c:

characterized by simple tailored lines in fashion year after year.

Classic: n a work of enduring excellence

OK - so who is the Authority that awards the term "Classic" or "Modern

Classic" to any specific vehicle? The answer to that question today is

"no one" /"there is no specific list or source".

The Classic Car Club of America defines cars built between 1925 and 1948 as "Full Classic". So as to not put that Model T in the same class of Classic Cars as say the 1957 Pontiac Bonneville or 1955 Ford Thunderbird etc.

It is also generally agreed that a car should be considered to be a

"Milestone Car" before being recognized as a "Classic" or "Modern Classic".

In the 50's and 60's the definition of a Milestone Car was something

closer to "a car that sets new standards in the publics perception and

thus raises the public's expectations of Automotive Design and

Engineering. (Since 1971 The Milestone Car Society of California has

used slightly different definitions)

Today most knowledgeable automotive writers and historians

acknowledge that the Datsun 240-Z is indeed a Milestone Car, and

that it is one of the ten most important automobiles in US Automotive History. The "Father of the Z Car" - Yutaka Katayama was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame in 1998 in large measure because of his shepherding of the Datsun 240-Z, from requirements definition, to design, to production and then to sales in the US.

The Datsun 240-Z is a Classic because 35 years after its inception - it is still recognized as being of timeless beauty. It's a Milestone Car because it changed the perception of the buying public toward Japanese Automobiles.

The bottom line is: The Datsun 240-Z is a "Classic" because it is proven to be of timeless beauty. If you were seeing the Datsun 240-Z for the first time today - you would think it had just left the design studio...

FWIW,

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater,FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Enrique, I don't think you missunderstood the question, I think I used poor semantics to form it. I think that the reason so many people(including us) love the car is what makes it a classic.

I suppose the question I should have asked is:

"Why do you love your car?" I need two answers-one the non-specific reasons(ie"It is beautiful")-and two, the highly specific reasons (ie:"the way the road reflects of the curve of her rear fender where it joins the roof makes me drool!") What is

that "something about" your "Z that has always appealed to" you?

The emotion of the general answer is explained by the specific answer. In a group of people shareing both(even if they aren't the same between the people in the group) we have what I think makes a classic car. It takes time to figure out what really makes something beautiful on a detailed level

I think the pictures are a great idea! Let's all take some of out Z-ordinary as TomoHawk said, and caption the picture with what you were thinking when you took it!

I don't think govenrment officials as a whole know enough about cars to make those decisions, that 's why i asked a bunch of experts...all of you.

In terms of the definition of classic-the dictionary (any one will do) does not mention any car in its explanation, therfor the person or group with the car(s) applied the word "classis" to it(them) , not the other way around, we all know of a recent situation where "original" was used rather loosly. BTW, "Original" is used in the explanation of "classic"!

I am looking for a current and lasting deffinition, not one put in place to build up one set of cars by excluding another without any specific consideration but date of manufacture.

I don't think of a classic Z as playing elevator music, mayby a Duesenberg, but music for a classic car would be something that reminds me of my view of the car:

"Radar Love","slow ride", "I can't drive 55", "born to be wild","She's a beauty","Wild Thing"," I want you to want me", are some Z songs right off the top of my head.