IGNORED

What would cause this piston slap on a newly rebuilt engine?

Looks like overheating and/or lack of oil.  Are they all like that?

p.s. I wouldn't call that piston "slap".  Slap is from loose pistons.  That one got too tight.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Patcon said:

Piston pins are pressed, not free floating?

Do the piston pins move freely?

Do you have a dial bore gauge and some mic's? What is the ID of the bore versus the OD of the piston?

Not sure yet if the pins themselves spin but the conrod moves freely on the pins, will get out the measuring tools tomorrow and get some hard numbers.

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Looks like overheating and/or lack of oil.  Are they all like that?

p.s. I wouldn't call that piston "slap".  Slap is from loose pistons.  That one got too tight.

I was told something about the oil pressure sender not being in place on start up and the oil gushed out, and I have seen signs of gasoline flooding the cylinders, washing the carbon off and pooling as in these pics so the gas would have washed any lubrication off the walls.

IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

• Wow 1

A brake fluid leak from the MC into the brake booster into inlet #6 caused this a few years ago. It doesn't take much to remove the oil leading to heat leading to expansion and more heat and expansion!

IMG_2039.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, Patcon said:

Those were nice pistons 😞

It wasn't too much of a disaster, Mori san was happy to supply a single piston (and the bore cleaned up ok with the flexi hone).

Edited by jonbill
  • Like 3

I spent a few hrs today getting all the measuring done, as you can see it's pretty consistent as you would expect from a freshly rebuild engine, the piston to bore clearance is suppose to be between .0010 and .0018", my clearance is working out to be about .0020 so I'm good with that.

I noticed that all the scuffing on the sides of the piston and cylinder wall are on the carb side of the engine so that's making me think the gasoline flooding is what washed the lubrication away and caused the scuffing 

IMG_2213.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jonbill said:

The carb side is the thrust side so will always get the worst of any scuffing. 

Right, and I found the reason for the gas flooding, the idle mixture screws on the triple Webers are suppose to be somewhere between half to one and half turns open, if the carbs need more than that you have to start changing jets.  On these carbs the idle mixture screws were turned out 5 1/2 turns, so the gas was just gushing in.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1