IGNORED

Show is vendor "THE UNOBTAINIUM"

zed2

Not sure about this fellow but I bought a 3D printed inspection lamp lense at a reasonable price off eBay and found it to have the 3D printing grain so rough that I had to send it back for a refund.

Beware of the finish quality / resolution on some of these items.

And have to say, I shudder when people print intake manifolds (a racer TVR buddy of mine recently did this) - I’ve not found the integrity of 3D printed materials to be as good as cast or injection moulding! One of my cycling buddies bought an expensive 3D printed bracket to fit his saddle for his rear camera / light / radar gizmo and had it snap as we were riding just 500 miles later - yet my cheapo Amazon Chinese aluminium one hasn’t failed in 4 years!

Now imagine an intake manifold coming apart mid WOT action at 6k rpm!! :o

• Like 2

That I don’t doubt for a second - I just don’t trust eBay and other sellers to be doing that level of attention to detail / design. So my point really is more about being clear about the standard to which these things are made.

• Like 1

My thoughts on the matter are in the form of a complaint... I don't like the condition description of the parts. I find it deceptive. There is no mention that the part is 3D-printed, and in fact, I find it easily misconstrued as an original part. For example:

"New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details."

Of course it's new. Of course it's in it's original packaging (because since he made it, "original packaging" would be whatever packaging this guy puts it in). And of course it's the same as what's found in a retail store unless it isn't. 

Maybe it's just me, but I find it deceptive. I think the condition should be "New aftermarket 3D printed reproduction part.".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

CO your "bold" statement is from eBay as part of their explanation of what a new part is. 

The ad states "reproduction with production quality" at the bottom of the graphic text. 

If you look through the feedback you see unhappy as well as happy buyers. Some say the parts broke in their hand and UNOB made them a new one. 

Yeah, I'm no ebay jockey and was wondering about that. So it sounds like ebay asks you if the part is new or not and as soon as you say your part is "new", they fill all that in for you.

I did browse through some of the feedback and it's clear that the guy is credible and trying to make things work. I just think it should be called out specifically somewhere that the parts are 3D printed repros.

• Agree 2

eBay has like 4 condition choices "New" "New other" "Used" "For parts not working"

New Other lets you say it has been out of the box or has no packaging. etc. 

This seller should have used the New Other but chose not to. I agree he should state these are 3D scans and not new OEM parts right up front. He kind of hides that fact in the details.

Personally I have not seen any 3D scans of parts that I would use. I would rather have a original part even with some wear on it.

17 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

This seller should have used the New Other but chose not to. I agree he should state these are 3D scans and not new OEM parts right up front. He kind of hides that fact in the details.

I agree. There are no mis-statements anywhere, but kinda deception through omission.

There were a couple feedbacks that highlighted that situation. Some people were surprised and disappointed that the parts they got were 3-D printed. The seller is very responsive to problems and does his best to make it right, but I think some of those misunderstandings could have been prevented at the get-go if it was more clear what the parts are.

• Agree 3