IGNORED

1977, 280z with FS5W71B transmission

5 hours ago, EuroDat said:

The 71C would have acompletely different gwar selector on top.

The ebay photo above is not a 71C. Looks similar, but it's a BW T5

I screwed that one up, it is a BW T5 in the pic above. Same type of shifter plate. 

Here is the 71C....

1971-240Z-RestoMod-240SX-Transmission.jpg

• Like 2

Keep looking, at think you’ll find one at a better price. I have access to 4 yards near me. They all want $425-$475. Two are close and two are wide. After reading your thread I might just grab one for my war time stock like [emoji23].

Call this yard in LA. They have an 83 ZX transmission.

All Japanese Auto Wrecking
323-581-0500

Good luck!

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Zed Head said:

You're down there in California Datsun territory.  I think that he buys up all of the used Z parts he can find.  You'll have to be really quick, I'd guess.  Or travel.

Yeah, to the point to hire a few guys standing outside of the wreckage yards to spot any Z(x) and buy it on spot.   Called the yard, the gentleman said someone bought the whole car.  What the heck, I thought the wreckage yards are the last place cars go to rest.  Someone is resuscitate it I guess.  Need to look up the dictionary definition for the wreckage yard …

2 hours ago, 240zadmire said:

Trying to buy a tail bushing bushing for the transmission and the shipping is ridiculous

4D40CB71-A50B-4EF9-A5B7-6ABC6D72630B.jpeg

the web site is clunky, there should be another shipping option. IIRC it defaults to that expensive ship option.

Edited by Dave WM

I saw that too.  Same price… I’m picking the dirty, oiled one tomorrow as he gave some discount… I’m going to use that discount to buy rebuild kit and still have some left over for few cold beers and still cheaper than $1000.   He got to make profit somehow as he had to pull it from a car, I’m cool with it.

Hopefully the oiled is from engine rather than transmission.  I hope I don’t make a big mistake 

• Like 2

Reading through this thread is like reliving my transmission nightmare about a year ago when my 5-speed failed and after buying a trashed 5-speed, I ended up with a 4-speed just to get my '74 back on the road. I later purchased a 5-speed out of a pickup which appears to be identical to my old 5-speed and was well taken care of. I might get around to installing it but I find that I rarely need 5th speed. 

BTW: I tried repairing a 5-speed using parts from a 4-speed and it worked, kind of. The gear noise sounded like I was using straight cut gears. 

Edited by Jeff Berk

Open onsite.  The oil look horrible 😞 somebody tried to fix the leak by using clear silicone for batub, windows … Surprisingly the gears looked really good.  Bought it and brought it home.  This weekend will be greasy . 

232095B7-31E6-4162-B97A-20D26E4AD065.jpeg

57CB6220-F536-46C1-85BF-FD5DA7B737F2.jpeg

7572EF92-B511-4887-A7F0-D6AC7114C298.jpeg

37F5AEFD-8827-49E9-8A53-413E7F67E7DD.jpeg

8B155F6F-D2FE-4106-941F-56A13985971B.jpeg

• Like 2