IGNORED

New member needing some opinions

Dadson

5 hours ago, jonbill said:

There's a couple of kinds of scissor lifts - mine does give good access to everything. 

DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

Is that resting on the tires? It looks like it does. Air compressor lifts it? 

I like this lift. Thanks for the info and pics.

Here's where I think it's on the front and rear tires instead of any metal on the Z.

Screenshot_20211119-173304_Samsung Internet.jpg

34 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Here's where I think it's on the front and rear tires instead of any metal on the Z.

Cliff, I can't attest to @jonbill's setup, but for many of these lifts, there are rubber or high density foam blocks that are used. You can see them in this picture.

ATEATTD7KKWIK_media-03.jpg?resizeid=16&r

Mine also came with adapters with arms for trucks.

ATTD-6MR-8.jpg

• Thanks 1

I'm going to do a FB Marketplace que for car lifts.

I like to be able to stand up the day or 2 after working on mine, ramps and jacks aren't quite enough for me now. 

Just jacking the front end up helps my back, just doing simple stuff but I want to do the underside too. Now if I could just stop sitting stuff on the fenders. LOL

Advantages of a scissor lift:
  1. Very sturdy. It's great for wheel/hub work including brake jobs.
  2. Can lift higher than a QJ.  (I also have a QJ 5000)
  3. Less guessing about jackpoints than a 2-post. I used 2-post lifts often when I was in the Air Force. The thing I miss most about the military is the Auto Hobby Shop.
Disadvantages of a scissor lift:
  1. Sits high. I have the car on 2x12s over the lift so the exhaust doesn't hit.
  2. Most are difficult to do centerline/transmission work. I did replace the driveshaft with the car on the scissor lift, but draining/refilling the transmission was a pain since I had to lie on one of the bottom crossmembers.
  3. The crossmembers can get in the way of simple things like placing your catch pan under the car for an oil change.
Just one thing, if the scissor lift does not have locking points as you lift, you do NOT want it. A safe lift should have locks that require the operator to disengage prior to lowering.

Thank you. I am picking it up tomorrow morning. I think it may be the HF brand but not sure. Looks like there are 2-3 mfgrs that are alike. It was used in a professional shop so I feel good about the safety aspect. I will also figure out a couple of different heights I like and make some jack legs for backup.

‘72 240z Kilimanjaro white vin 473XX

There's a couple of kinds of scissor lifts - mine does give good access to everything. 
DSC_0063.thumb.JPG.d12db7ff108b3c98991153505e69d71c.JPG
DSC_0011.thumb.JPG.9d821d90c9ddbf8c087d490539d3843b.JPG

Great looking lift. Lots more access than the one I’m getting but I can’t pass up the price. Thanks for sharing.

‘72 240z Kilimanjaro white vin 473XX

9 hours ago, siteunseen said:

no, like SteveJ says, mine also lifts on the body. I lift the Z with a cross beam on the compression rod pickups at the front and rubber blocks on the rear sill jacking point. 

On 11/18/2021 at 8:44 PM, Dadson said:

I will probably turn a new shift knob on my lathe and see what I end up with. Does anyone know what species of wood was original?

I have done that as well..  Btw.. the original knob is made of FAKE wood... (Maybe you can find it in a fake forest? 😉 ) It's a combination of wood powder and glue or epoxy kind of stuff.

I made mine of mahogany..  and a layer or 8 !! of lacquer.  (Could not find a pic in my files as i have about a 100 million pic to dig through...pffff... )