IGNORED

What spline lug lock is this??

1 hour ago, Mark Maras said:

I can't be the only one here who has never used a torque wrench on lug nuts.

When I was young and didn’t know any better, well, yeah, I used a lug spanner (one of those x shaped things that has three different lug nut sockets and a screwdriver looking thing on the fourth bar to remove hubcaps).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

I never did but probably should have.  I think that I used to over-torque my aluminum wheels and was distorting the rims at the seat, squishing it there.  The lug nuts used to get stuck in the holes and I'd use a rat tail file to open them up a little.  Probably Not Good.

The aluminum slotted mags I have for my race car used shoulder lug nuts with a flat washer, and this happens to them. I use a tapered reamer to clean the holes up when they get too tight around the lug nuts.

Probably lost about 1/16” of thickness over the last 30 years.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:40 PM, Jeff G 78 said:

I don't think I've tightened any wheel in the past 30 years without using a torque wrench.

I use an Milwaukee impact for removal, it makes disassembly of the car way faster. But the rule for me is that when I assemble it back up, it has to be done by hand, and torqued to spec.

No bolt allowed on the car without torquing it down, I've had too many instances of "oh $^!# was it torqued?"

I also don't use the electric impact to install wheels back on, I told my buddy this at the track when he wanted to borrow my tool.

"Dont torque it down with the impact, I don't trust it" So he torques it down with the impact, then has to come back into the pits after a few laps because he felt the wheel was loose. :mellow:

3 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

I use an Milwaukee impact for removal, it makes disassembly of the car way faster. But the rule for me is that when I assemble it back up, it has to be done by hand, and torqued to spec.

No bolt allowed on the car without torquing it down, I've had too many instances of "oh $^!# was it torqued?"

I also don't use the electric impact to install wheels back on, I told my buddy this at the track when he wanted to borrow my tool.

"Dont torque it down with the impact, I don't trust it" So he torques it down with the impact, then has to come back into the pits after a few laps because he felt the wheel was loose. :mellow:

Same.  I will use the air or Milwaukee impact to remove nuts and to run them on only until they touch.  I finish with the torque wrench.  Using a paint pen on all chassis fasteners once torqued is best practice so you know they are torqued and you can easily see if they have backed off with use.

FYI. I sent some money down to Cali. Via PayPal.  The guy has not set it yet as he works from 7am to 5pm 6 days a week. Will he send it?? I hope so.  He says it may take him a while before he can send it. It would take me like 5 mins to walk to post office and send.  Will I ever get it ?? I hope so !!

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Shawninvancouver said:

The guy has not set it yet as he works from 7am to 5pm 6 days a week. 

Sixty hour work week covering the hours the Post Office is typically open and one day off?   If his day off is Sunday, it may be a while before you get the lug key.