IGNORED

What is your most valuable 'made-it-myself' tool?

Namerow

1 hour ago, Jeff G 78 said:

There is no such thing as the best tool.  If I need to pound a nail in, a micrometer does me no good, yet for precision measuring, the hammer is just as useless.  Whenever I work on anything house or vehicle related, I tend to need every tool I own.  If I don't own the perfect tool for a job, I either make one, or I improvise and use what I have in the toolbox already.  If I have the time or think I'll ever need to do the same job again, I'll usually make a tool or jig.

You "can" pound a nail with a micrometer! Would you want to ...............................................????????????????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Berk said:

OK, I have to ask... What is the purpose of a bolt stretch gauge? Please don't say to measure the stretch of a bolt. A little background please on this cool-looking tool.

Torque to yield bolts require that how much the fastener stretches is known. Once the bolt reaches the maximum allowable stretch, it must be discarded and replaced. 

So yes, you are measuring how much the bolt stretches.

• Like 1

Part of the reason for owning a Z and subscribing to this site is to learn something now and then. Fel-Pro does a good job of explaining the concept and included an example for a Subaru where the head bolts had to be tightened in two steps, loosened in two steps, and then tightened in two to three steps in order to get to the "yield zone". 

https://www.felpro.com/technical/tecblogs/proper-installation-use-t-t-y-bolts.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Berk said:

a Subaru where the head bolts had to be tightened in two steps, loosened in two steps, and then tightened in two to three steps in order to get to the "yield zone". 

I've owned a lot Subies and have done that head bolt job a few times, real pain in the butt.

This has nothing to do with Zs but Stihl equipment. They've gone to a new carb tool they won't sale you, bat rastards, for adjusting the high and low settings.

After a month of trying to save a dollar I found what works at Harbor Freight. It's a screwdriver set with a 4mm tool you need all the rest are just a bonus in my thinking and I must offset everything with a positive spin. Wacko I know, I get that every other day.

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-piece-precision-screwdriver-set-4143.html

Precision Screwdriver Set, 16 Pc. 4143 alternate photo #1

• Like 1

I have exactly the same issue with an approach slope to my garage... although the frequency of my new-project arrivals pales in comparison with GK's.  I bought a hand-crank winch and bolted it to my workbench (which is bolted to the back wall of my garage).  Motorized would have been better, but it was certainly an improvement over a come-along

• Like 1

I also mounted a winch. In my case, I sometimes need to pull my car in and onto my 4-post lift. Pushing it up the lift ramps was too difficult so I attached a box hitch receiver at the other end of the lift. I have a small 12v winch that is welded to a hitch adapter. The winch can then be attached to the lift to pull my Z onto the lift. The winch can also attach to my Chevy Volt or my garden tractor with their box hitch receiver and run off their battery.

I thought I was so original with my idea. I guess not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1