IGNORED

What is your most valuable 'made-it-myself' tool?

Namerow

As we all know, not all needs are answered by over-the-counter tools. As one example, my Z-friend Dieter Roth made his own special wrench for one particularly annoying Z job (halfshaft U-joint bolts, IIRC) by simply grinding off the excess metal from a standard open-end wrench so that it would fit inside the limited-clearance space.  For my own efforts, I've enjoyed constant use over the years from a 18" length of 1"-dia aluminum tubing (from a TV antenna mast) that I squashed one end of so that it would fit over the end of open-end and box-end wrenches to give extra leverage.

What's in your tool box?

• Like 2

I love making tools and jigs.  My latest was a modification to the spindle pin puller I made.  Since I already had the puller, I made another sleeve and turned it into a rear outer bushing puller.  It made removing the OE bushings almost easy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, siteunseen said:

When I need to stretch out a spring

For a spring that are in a gearbox base plate i use a side cutting pliers, just cut halfway into it, your not gonna hurt it just stretch it.

The best made tool was a apparatus to grip the crank on a 300zx(tt) z32 for taking of the balancer (necassary when changing the timingbelt)  without taking everything of and the starter also to block the crank!  I block the crank with my own made tool that clicks into the holes in the balancer/pulley.

(It's a horizontal beam fits to the stabilizerbar and has two steel round "fingers" that go into the holes of the balancer.  simple but effective..  saves a lot of time, because you don't need to take the starter off!)

• Like 4

This is all really good stuff.  Hopefully, we'll end up with an inventory of, 'Why didn't I think of that?' items that will save others a lot of time, grief and/or money.  They might even inspire some new ideas.  Pictures help, if you've got them. 

6 minutes ago, Namerow said:

This is all really good stuff.  Hopefully, we'll end up with an inventory of, 'Why didn't I think of that?' items that will save others a lot of time, grief and/or money.  They might even inspire some new ideas.  Pictures help, if you've got them. 

I think @zKars can fill 10 pages!

• Like 1