IGNORED

What is your most valuable 'made-it-myself' tool?

Namerow

240260280, is your jet alignment tool primarily for the 4 screw dome carbs, or for either the 3 screw of 4 screw?  I can see how it would adjust the nozzle in the 4 screw carb to sit in the appropriate position.  I am trying to understand how it would benefit for the 3 screw, as you would have to take the dome and piston out to put the needle in, which would undo your adjustments.

54 minutes ago, duffman said:

240260280, is your jet alignment tool primarily for the 4 screw dome carbs, or for either the 3 screw of 4 screw?  I can see how it would adjust the nozzle in the 4 screw carb to sit in the appropriate position.  I am trying to understand how it would benefit for the 3 screw, as you would have to take the dome and piston out to put the needle in, which would undo your adjustments.

It is for aligning the nozzle sleeve (that holds the jet) to the centre of the piston. If you disassemble the bottom of the carb, you will find the nozzle sleeve has freedom to be repositioned within the nozzle sleeve set screw:

image.gif

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, 240260280 said:

It is for aligning the nozzle sleeve (that holds the jet) to the centre of the piston. If you disassemble the bottom of the carb, you will find the nozzle sleeve has freedom to be repositioned within the nozzle sleeve set screw:

I respectfully disagree. That needle/nozzle alignment method will not work on the odd bird 72 3-screw round tops.

The nozzle sleeve is not adjustable on the 3 screw round tops. On those 72 carbs, the nozzle sleeve is pressed into the underside of the carb body and does not come out. Once it is pressed into place, it's fixed. No adjustment:
P1180942.JPG

P1180944.JPG

So since the nozzle sleeve is hard fixed, they do the needle alignment using the dome up top instead. The three hold down screw holes are intentionally sloppy allowing the dome to be positioned in the correct location. With that in mind, the needle alignment on the 3-screw round tops is set at the factory using the cone shaped alignment nubbies. Cast in place once the domes were aligned with the nozzle position.

The alignment was set at the factory. Once and done and (assuming the original nubbies have not been broken off) nonadjustable after they leave the factory.  I assume they took that power out of the owner's and dealers hands because they felt they weren't doing it right.

Here's a 3-screw nubbie:
P1180262.JPG

• Like 4