IGNORED

260Z ITB conversion

Nimo

Hi there,
Three months ago, I purchased a 1974 260Z with L28 turbo block with 3.1 L stroker conversion with Carbs. I love the sound and responsiveness but can't drive for no more than 20 minutes due to the smell of gas. I want to retain the current block but maybe convert to fuel injection. Any advise regarding this conversion including itb would be highly appreciated.

I would like to know what hardware and engine management is required and where I can source the parts. Ultimately I'd like to tune the vehicle via dyno. I love the look of the itb.
Any advise for this Newbie?

IMG_2367.jpeg

IMG_2370.jpeg

IMG_2369.jpeg

IMG_2371.jpeg

IMG_2368.jpeg

A chap here tuned nearly the same engine so perhaps we can compare your set up to his to see if there are significant differences.

If the smell of gas is from the car then you may have the same issue with EFI.  There are a few gas hoses that pass through the cabin that age and release fumes. We can guide you though checking.

The DCOE carbs also have fuel bowls vented through the air filters so that can easily fume out a garage where you store the car.  An air box may reduce that smell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

A chap here tuned nearly the same engine so perhaps we can compare your set up to his to see if there are significant differences.

If the smell of gas is from the car then you may have the same issue with EFI.  There are a few gas hoses that pass through the cabin that age and release fumes. We can guide you though checking.

The DCOE carbs also have fuel bowls vented through the air filters so that can easily fume out a garage where you store the car.  An air box may reduce that smell.

Any info on the chap with the same set up would greatly help.  Thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2020 at 6:30 PM, 240260280 said:

I’ve got the same issue (can’t drive more than 20min w/o smelling like a gas station) with my ‘73 240. I’ve got the original block and air box, but with the ‘70-‘72 carbs. Any help on checking fuel lines and carbs would be great. 

1 hour ago, 73avocado said:

I’ve got the same issue (can’t drive more than 20min w/o smelling like a gas station) with my ‘73 240. I’ve got the original block and air box, but with the ‘70-‘72 carbs. Any help on checking fuel lines and carbs would be great. 

Howdy fellow Newfoundlander!

If you lift up the rear carpet and the passenger side rear inside plastic panel then you will see all the fuel vent hoses that can rot and make the cabin smelly

image.png

evap lines.jpg

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1

I replaced mine without removing the fender. Here's a good thread on all that. The best info and pictures are the last couple of pages. Great pictures fyi.

My bad! Wrong thread. Here's the good pictures.

Iron Bowl in a minute so I'm a little wound up. Apologies sir.

Edited by siteunseen

3 hours ago, Racer X said:

That is looking from the inside, with the interior panels removed.

In the first pic, u can see a bucket and other stuff through the car. Maybe that’s the tail light hole though. 

Edited by 73avocado