IGNORED

Clutch fork throw

rcv

Just adding more to the saga.  I wanted to see when the transmission changed, and,  I don't know for sure, but its looks like there are two 71A's, maybe three.  The first A matches the first pivot ball, changing at 7108. 

Anyone got a super-early 240Z 4 speed to take a look at?

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

That is a very neat drawing indeed. WOW When I did my "caveman style" sketch I was going through the montions and not expecting anything like this.

Hey, if the darn thing worked with those measurements you took on the original clutch, it will work fine with the 125mm mearuement.

I know for a fact the clutch will fully disengage with 15mm on the 71B, but it was very close to the floor and badly adjusted. If everything was adjusted correctly it should have hit the bell housing. Who knows what was going on. Time to move on.

Edited by EuroDat

Nice find @Zed Head!  My car is 11/70 so it would make sense I would have the early part.  Definitely very interesting that it states "no interchange".  I dug through all of the paper work that I have on the car, and it looks like the clutch was replaced once in 1996 at a Shell Service Center.  Not to knock on the tech J. Patrick, but I'm betting he was no Z-Doctor and may have put in the wrong pressure plate.

image.png

It would be great to hear from other owners with first year cars to see if their pivot is indeed drastically longer than the later models, or if their pressure plate is significantly taller.  Paging @duffymahoney - do you happen to still have the 4-speed and pressure plate you pulled out of your Series 1?

I find the parts documentation confusing. Even though the new pivot number says no interchange, note that it DOES list that it superseded the old number.

I did some internets searching for info on the part numbers and turned up very little about the old one. I agree that it would be very enlightening to see a pic of the old pivot next to the new one.

I did the same search, and couldn't really find anything either.  At this point I'm pretty convinced that either the original pivot was longer, or that the original pressure plate was even taller than the standard 240Z ones. I don't have any documentation indicating that the pivot was ever replaced, but that receipt I posted above leads me to believe that the culprit is likely the pressure plate. 

Can any of you regulars think of any other names that are likely to be hanging onto early 71As that we could summon to this party?  I would love it if the answer was the pivot, because I could probably fab up a replacement given the dimensions.  A pressure plate, not so much.

Start a new thread with a descriptive title.  Many forum members are only interested in certain things, and only browse the titles or certain sub-fourms.  "Clutch fork throw" probably isn't a big club, except for some of us.  It drew me right in.

• Like 1

Thanks @240dkw - interesting that you get different numbers than mine. I’d love to trace down the disparity if you’re up for it.  Can you measure the height of the pivot itself, from the top of the ball to the bottom of any washers it’s sitting on? Mine measures 29mm with the single split washer it came with, ~26mm without.

7010BFF9-24C3-4D4D-8DF1-7B2919D343C3.jpegA0207942-2986-4B20-880A-030054A36220.jpeg

Edited by rcv