IGNORED

New mustache bushing updates?

ToolBoy

Here's a shorter thought - Nissan got rid of the mustache bar design when they went to the ZX body.  And they modified the parts a few times over the years. 

It's really just a bad design from the beginning.  Simple ideas should be possible for easy improvement. 

I've often wondered whether the problem with aftermarket polyurethane bushings not the fact that they're made from polyurethane, but that they're made from the wrong polyurethane.  The traditional suppliers of these PU bushes have always skewed their products toward the performance buyer.  The result is a vehicle that's hard to live with on real-world pavement.  I'm sure there are lower-durometer synthetic materials -- PU or otherwise -- that could be cast from the same molds.  Unfortunately, supporting a second product line called 'street' would cost a lot of money.  The 'performance' segment of the market is, arguably, a lot bigger and certainly more lucrative.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zed Head said:

It's really just a bad design from the beginning. 

Agreed. I'm not a mechanical engineer, but my design sense tells me that they designed it for predominant forces in the wrong direction. They should have designed the bushing orientations for predominant forces in the up-down direction (both for gravity and for driveline torque) Instead, it seems they designed it for lateral forces first and then up-down second.

They fixed that with the ZX mounting scheme and I've pondered a little on ways completely change the Z to a different scheme. But for now, just finding a modifiable bushing that could be adapted to the existing design would keep me occupied.

3 hours ago, Namerow said:

The traditional suppliers of these PU bushes have always skewed their products toward the performance buyer.  The result is a vehicle that's hard to live with on real-world pavement.

I think the biggest problem is that everyone thinks "poly is better than the crappy soft stock systems".

Just ask everyone. It's all over the internets.

Lucky for me I have no previous experience driving with stock rubber bushings. All my bushings were replaced with poly or solid mounts so the NVH (whatever it is) will be the standard in my finsinhed ride! lol

AK260 could try that instead of carving up a PU bushing.  There are endless ways to get the big old chunk of mustache bar steel to stop moving around, clunking, but still avoid transmitting sound.

Well funny you should say that chap! The other eve I was having similar thoughts and ordered some of these for that exact reason! [emoji106][emoji106] 

b2465748ae77ca2d369f259d7da1f223.jpg&key=748b5e971d50203870f513a49221c266df128e84a8adf9239d90990d8aae97c0

Interestingly, I am making my own RT mount equivalent as my rubber insulator had totally failed - now that insulator is a true example of bad design working in the opposite direction. But I guess 43 years is 43 years wherever the rubber is.

75c41c6a64e483b9ab480bf20ac4cddd.jpg&key=f5f5f4431ab696c471f297f70b822f163a4f61d76dca98039f5a43cc6a051530

e6c86224bb008fd7edfed0f40ee313d6.jpg&key=94510eae4a3223ed7f7b002feeaeb29bbd569e5d8e53ef641b833ea58580759b

The point being that I bought the bushing used in the TTT mount and I find it to be rock solid. So I’ve bought more of those rubber washers above with a smaller ID to space it out with - that way I get a little bit of give for reducing high frequency noise but the solid resistance to lift of the red poly bush.

Here she is, mocked up out of aluminium and masking tape ;) final version will be 3mm steel. This is definitely stronger than the giant rubber band ;)

f7c6b0a3d0adae3cd949a89790db1ae1.plist&key=5536f0663480d7cc8fc50e9e9286579386e02832d699041ed743b1b19ce01611

I call this the AK mount !![emoji1787]

• Like 1

Hey Guys, quick update on the reproduction rubber bushings. Heard back from my contact in Nissan USA.

Bad news is that there is not a lot of information on the mustache bushing parts within the US organization because everything was produced in Japan and "sold" to the US legal entity, so limited visibility.

Good news is they are following up with some contacts within Nissan Japan to track down the original supplier and minimum order quantity to reproduce. 

At some point, we are going to need an estimate of how many potential orders the Z community might have for these parts if they could be made available. Is there a polling option within ClassicZCars or something that we could set up to send out to the community? Was thinking we could also reach out to Courtesy to see how many requests they get for these things each year.   Open to other ideas!

• Like 1

This is a great thread.  I want to replace all the rubber suspension parts on my ‘75 280Z, but so far, I’ve only replaced the f/r sway bar mounting bushings and their drop link bushings.  Also replaced the compression rod bushings.  I have the inner transverse link bushings to install soon,  Still lots more to do to freshen up my suspension.  (Rubber) parts lack of availability has been the major hold up.

8 hours ago, dmuzial said:

At some point, we are going to need an estimate of how many potential orders the Z community might have for these parts if they could be made available. Is there a polling option within ClassicZCars or something that we could set up to send out to the community? Was thinking we could also reach out to Courtesy to see how many requests they get for these things each year.   Open to other ideas!

That would be terrific if this happened, any idea what their minimum run would have to be?