IGNORED

New mustache bushing updates?

ToolBoy

I just burned out my old decrepit mustache bushings and wondering if there is any new availability on a rubber product? I searched and the conversations I found were from 2017. Hoping to not use the urethane ones I bought in the beginning.   . . . and if I use the poly ones do I need to grind off the lip that turns inward in the existing outer shell of the original? Thanks. . . 

4 hours ago, ToolBoy said:

and if I use the poly ones do I need to grind off the lip that turns inward in the existing outer shell of the original? Thanks. . . 

I don't understand what you mean by pointing inwards. The outer sleeves on the original bushes were flared over the mustache bar, unless someone replaced them in the past and didn't flare it properly. Can you post a photo?

Thanks for the reply. . .  Bottom of the sleeve lays over and top of sleeve curls in. I helped the removal along with a jigsaw not realizing I might need to keep the sleeve. Does this sleeve need to come out too? Bushing seems to fit snugly an bottom as-is.

MustacheTop.jpg

MustacheBottom.jpg

The poly bushing will fit even the curled inward side? That would surprise me a little. But to use poly, you leave the sleeve. (Normally both sides would look like the bottom picture - curled outwards. Looks like that bushing has been replaced once already) If you got a stock replacement rubber bushing, the sleeve would have to come out.

Edited by cgsheen1

The poly bushing fits everywhere except the edge where I notched it with my jigsaw. Could I not carefully remove that inward curling flange?    . . . and if not, I haven't seen the stock rubber bushings available. I would prefer those anyway. 

The standard poly bushings tend to be too tight anyway, being compressed and passing diff noise in to the cabin.  They made them too thick, or the sleeve too short.   That missing flange on the shell of your old bushing might actually help create a small air gap when the bar is installed.

Not really clear what you mean by "fit".  Are you saying that you can't get the PU bushing past the ragged edges of the old metal shell?  You might just take a hammer and spread the hole out so you can get the PU in there.  Put everything together including the inner metal sleeve and see how things will end up.  Don't overlook that the outer washers are actually torqued down on the sleeve, not the PU when the bar is installed.  If the sleeve is wider than the PU parts by just a bit that will create an air gap that will block diff noise.

None of that area back there is precision work.  Don't sweat small problems, you can jam things together as long as the nuts can torque down on the stud properly.

Thanks, that's great!!  When I said "fit"  I meant they will press in to the old sleeve from the one direction. I'll start by peening that edge out as now it curves in and is way too small and sharp for the bushing to pass. I've heard of some folks drilling 1/8 inch holes in the poly bushings every 90 degrees to soften them up a bit and can be packed with pu lube. Any opinion on that and is there any availability of rubber bushings here?

People have been searching for old stock bushings for years.  Not much luck.  eBay is probably your best bet and they'll probably be expensive.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/axle/rear-suspension/29

https://www.google.com/search?q=55476-N4300&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS862US862&oq=55476-N4300&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I work for a OEM supplier that works with Nissan and am happy to see if we have any contacts to their parts org. Will ask around and see what I can find out. Can someone confirm all of the part numbers required?

55476-N4300 - Mustache Bar Bushing

55475-N4300 - Serrated Washer

55474-N4300 - Serrated Washer

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, dmuzial said:

Can someone confirm all of the part numbers required?

55476-N4300 - Mustache Bar Bushing

55475-N4300 - Serrated Washer

55474-N4300 - Serrated Washer

They are the correct part numbers.

The top serrated washer is flat and the lower serrated washer is slighting concaved.

15929288670921488771994.jpg

• Like 1