IGNORED

Won't go into gear

Ptero

Thanks HS30.  

Looks like one of those companies that split off a division or two.  It's what big companies do.  It's hard to tell who's who sometimes.

Surprising that it broke, but who knows what abuse it might have seen.

http://eac.exedy.com/eac/company/history/

https://www.exedyusa.com/company/

Edited by Zed Head

On 4/19/2020 at 8:32 AM, siteunseen said:

A lot of folks on here use Exedy 6009 clutch kit. I have one on both cars and really like them. One's on top of a 10lb aluminum flywheel, easy operating clutch in my opinion. $100 at amazon.com.

Thanks again @LeonV

Anytime, glad the combo worked out for you too. I can't complain about mine, a stock clutch with 10lb flywheel is the perfect complement for a hot street-driven Z IMO. Still holding just fine after 7 years and a few thousand miles of hard pulls and quick shifts. ?

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 6:50 PM, Zed Head said:

Don't forget that the first gear ratio matches certain diff ratios best.  You might be going back to a better match if the diff was never changed.  The close ratios used a 3.9, the wides a 3.54, in general.  Not a big deal just something to consider.

Welp, cracked open the diff.  Stamped with 37:11 which means it has 3.36 gearing.  Not ideal for the wide ratio 5 speed?

The car is used for casual driving around town and on the highway.  Never taken to the track or raced.

Better than the close ratio that you had in there.  Close is 3.062 first, wide is 3.321.  So it should be easier on the clutch when taking off in first gear.

There are people out there looking for the 3.36.  So if you swap it out don't toss that 3.36 diff.

Checked around the shop and I've got 2 possible diff's to use.

R180 /w 3.36 gearing (existing diff)

R200 /w 3.54 gearing

Keeping in mind I'll be using this /w the wide ratio 5 spd from a 77-78 280z I believe.

Again, some highway driving and some city driving, but no track or racing.  Is there a preferred combination here?

Maybe this is a topic for another thread and I'm sure has already been covered (I'll start scouring after this).

I like my 180 and wide 5speed combo. I did take the speedo pinion out of the oe 4speed and put it in the 5speed. 2,200rpm is between 75 and 80mph on the interstates. Red light to red light is quick too but I do have a lightweight flywheel. Around town 3rd gear is good in the 45mph range. I rarely go to fifth unless I'm on the highways. 4th is perfect.

My $.02. I'm sure you'll hear more opinions. Cliff 

30 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

@siteunseen can you share what your diff ratio is, the color of your speedo gear is and what size tires you are running?

I have a 5 speed out of a '79 ZX 2+2 which is the wide B.  Original R180 from '72 is 3.364.  The speedo gear was in the original 4 speed and is a yellowish color if I remember right, maybe dirty white?  I run 15" 205/55 tires.

My speedometer was compared to a couple of friend's newer cars and a truck running beside me on the interstate.  70 75 and 80 were the same as we compared talking on our phones.  I didn't want to get a speeding ticket and argue with excuses about my drivetrain. LOL

Well I suppose an update is in order.  A smallish fix has got me into the "while I'm here" state of mind and things have ballooned a little bit.  Everything out of necessity I'm telling myself.

Decided it'd be a good idea to replace the pilot bushing.  Clutch kit comes with one after all.  I'd say the old one was pretty tired.  Wow!

thumbnail_20200427_192914.jpg

thumbnail_20200427_192952.jpg

Got the flywheel resurfaced.

thumbnail_20200427_190034.jpg

Swapping in a wide ratio 5 speed.  Cleaning it up a bit because it was filthy.

thumbnail_20200427_182200.jpg

Due to changing from a short ratio 5 speed to a wide, I am now switching out my r180 3.36 for a r200 3.54 I had attached to another shell.

Pardon the messy shop.  It's just how it is.  It gets used.

thumbnail_20200427_182134.jpg

Edited by Ptero
  • Like 1