IGNORED

Hitachi 280ZX Distributors

Av8ferg

Somethings to note on this latest distributor. First it spins freely and without being gritty and the gaps across the stator are consistent. That wasn’t the case with my other ones which were locked up for the most part. The shaft of the latest one has a screw in it where my others do not ref pics below. I bet this one works as it but not sure if I should break it down, clean it, lubricant and use some of the new parts inbound. Forgot to mention it has a metal tip vs the plastic one on the other two I had. I think with these 3 and the parts I might be about to get two working units. We shall see. 205831670ee7cbef02a39b814b580567.jpg
69d44514b4eab30ce908458463697b88.jpg18a76996fb1c5b25cd14463b3c1fa261.jpgf70f89093e5439b719e1d2d597782934.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get the pedestal that the distributor sits on?  Two screws hold it to the timing chain cover.  Your 280Z pedestal won't work right with a ZX distributor, you'll run out of adjustment range.

Disassembly introduces more risk.  If the parts aren't rusty you could probably just purge the old oil and grease with some brake or carb cleaner then relube it.  If everything moves smoothly and correctly, why take a chance.

I think that your others might just have a cap over that screw.  That looks like a reman but that doesn't mean it's bad.  

ZH, I had to pull it apart. It’s in good shape but the breaker plate was barely moving for vacuum advance lower section. There was some rust in there between plates. I have a brand new breaker plate coming from Japan so I’ll have a good unit after.

BTW, those D style hun caps are worth something. I saw at least two at the JY and I can probably get them for $10-$20 each. eBay has one with 9 bids at $350. Thanks Cliff. Beers for you too!

a58f5f628afc505daf2967e85b6a15ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1