IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

Just my thoughts on displacement: when it comes to racing,  I’d imagine it would be a real challenge to enter a car with a 2400cc engine into an “under 2000cc” class. 
Going the other way: enough displacement will usually usurp most technology advantages, which is the reason that pretty much every model of car can be made to go faster with an SBC transplant. I’d venture to say It’s probably why they have classes, rules, and regulations to begin with. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Why would you assume that development of the factory 'safety bar' kit was specific to USA safety requirements?

Nissan had committed - 'early in the Z programme' - to using the S30-series Z in its own racing and rallying activities, and made sure that this was taken into account in the design & engineering of the cars. FIA and JAF homologation was very important and required an integrated effort in order to get the application in early enough for it to be legal for the start of the 1970 season.

Clue: Monte Carlo. It's not in the USA:

69-Monte-Image-Car-1.JPG

These early cars were extremely light! In the first FiA homologation it is 920 kilo.........    And if you  see an very early 10-1969 you can imagine that. How younger the production # the more brackets and sheet metal you see

1 hour ago, HS30-H said:

No smog pump/anti-emissions devices on non-North American market 240Zs, and also different distributor.

I say less power on HLS30U/UN/UV. It's impossible for them all to be the single, same, factory quoted output in the field. The engines were tested 'bare', with no load. No pumps.

But that is my point, the UN has no smog pump/anti-emissions devices and also a different distributor.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 240dkw said:

But that is my point, the UN has no smog pump/anti-emissions devices and also a different distributor.

I think we are both reading from the same page here. The wider point is that the power values stated on the chassis tag - and in the literature, and quoted back to me by SpeedRoo in comparison with the S20 - are quantified before the other devices are bolted on, so not all L24-engined models were created equal.

Edit: And I LIKE it when Canada sticks up for Canada. The "Made For USA" thing bugs me vicariously for Canada as much as anywhere else. The Kaku U team WENT TO Canada for heaven's sake!

Edited by HS30-H

2 hours ago, christoffel said:

These early cars were extremely light! In the first FiA homologation it is 920 kilo.........   

I think a 'fully loaded' '69/'70 HLS30U would struggle to make that weight in real life. I think the car used for the FIA 3023 homologation had - shall we say - a little bit of a diet before being tested...  There's some talk that the FIA 3023 homologation sample car actually had a PZR body.

JAF homologation of the 432-R was 960kg 'wet', so that's with 100 litre tank full. It seems to indicate the FIA 3023 car was, er, 'special'...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xs10shl said:

Just my thoughts on displacement: when it comes to racing,  I’d imagine it would be a real challenge to enter a car with a 2400cc engine into an “under 2000cc” class. 
Going the other way: enough displacement will usually usurp most technology advantages, which is the reason that pretty much every model of car can be made to go faster with an SBC transplant. I’d venture to say It’s probably why they have classes, rules, and regulations to begin with. 

By the end of 1970, works-affiliated privateers with 432-Rs found themselves racing in re-jigged race classes that allowed engine capacities up to 3 litres. They promptly installed TOMEI-tuned pushrod H30 stock car engines in their 432-R bodies:

Kuwashima 432-R Tomei H30 engine.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christoffel said:

These early cars were extremely light! In the first FiA homologation it is 920 kilo.........    And if you  see an very early 10-1969 you can imagine that. How younger the production # the more brackets and sheet metal you see

The same racer that preferred the L24 for racing over S20 also preferred the skyline over the 432R for its stiffness.  Light may not always be better.

Edited by 240260280

9 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

The same racer that preferred the L24 for racing over S20 also preferred the skyline over the 432R for its stiffness.  Light may not always be better.

Which "the" Skyline?

I own a KPGC10 race car and I can tell you that its bodyshell is no stiffer than any S30-series Z bodyshell.

• Like 1

"Coveted racing green paint job"; I like that.  Coveted.  "The car is entirely unrestored, but an electronic ignition was added."  Where did THAT come from?  And so it is a good question to ask what this sale does to the value of it's peer class.