IGNORED

L28 full rebuild assembly

Av8ferg

33 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

I forgot to ask.  Is the Differential different between the 2 and 4 seater on the ZX.  They are coming up differently when I’m searching for the part online. 

2+2's came with the smaller R180, I believe.  Don't get an R180.

If you can find an 87-89 (?) 300ZX Turbo it might have the CLSD R200 that is a direct bolt-in swap.

22 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

2+2's came with the smaller R180, I believe.  Don't get an R180.

If you can find an 87-89 (?) 300ZX Turbo it might have the CLSD R200 that is a direct bolt-in swap.

Your junk yard has a lot of cars laying around. If you find 300zx with the possible LSD, check it! It should have a finned cover and both wheels will turn in the same direction. Always buy the half shafts with the diff!

I have 2 here that I bought a decade or so ago out of Florida

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

A 3.9 will match the first gear ratio on an 81-83 5 speed.  The 80 5 speed might have the .773 overdrive which makes 5th feel like it belongs right after 4th, instead of being way out there.

Just complicating your decision...

3.9 x 3.062 = 11.94

3.54 x 3.321 = 11.75

This are the options you have to choose from.  I called the guy and he said the computer shows different differentials for the 2 and 4 seater and both are R200.  Could be an error.  

FBCBFCCF-9252-44E8-8CB8-B6C9BD202C2D.jpeg

All of the NA MT's should be 3.9.  But, the FSM is not always right.  Just check your ratios before buying.  They're stamped on the ring gear.  You'll want to pull the cover anyway to look for damage.

Might also be that they are including  the type of axle in the part number.  The 2+2 83's came with CV shafts. So, if they removed the CV's the diff will be "empty" of axles.  

image.png

On 3/15/2020 at 7:44 PM, Zed Head said:

All of the NA MT's should be 3.9.  But, the FSM is not always right.  Just check your ratios before buying.  They're stamped on the ring gear.  You'll want to pull the cover anyway to look for damage.

Might also be that they are including  the type of axle in the part number.  The 2+2 83's came with CV shafts. So, if they removed the CV's the diff will be "empty" of axles.  

image.png

Thanks ZH.  This was my understanding as well.  So, stuck here in my hotel with nothing to do but do research, read my book and watch TV.  Social isolation sucks.  
So I think the later ZX transmission with the stock ZX differential is the route I’m going to go with.  Of course I’ll look at the 300zx differentials with the slight chance the unicorn LSD is in this lot.  There are at least six 300zx’s in there, 

So before I left for this work trip my refurbished injectors came back from Motor Man,  they look really good, actually new.  The only thing I don’t like it the clamps he used.  I’ll upgrade the to stainless injector clamps.  

68344116-C36C-4771-9F18-60D8E8E551E8.jpeg

3281FCCA-9893-4351-A8A9-67C6514BBBF4.jpeg

• Like 1