IGNORED

Datsun Spirit ITB's

northernz

8 hours ago, northernz said:

I used to take Zantac for indigestion and now it is the subject of a class action lawsuit for causing cancer, so maybe?

:blink: I have been taking Prevacid for 15yrs, I had no idea.  I just looked up the risks for Prevacid, stomach cancer, acute kidney damage and bone fractures, oh my.

• Sad 1

You can make yourself crazy by worrying about all of the possible causes for those things that we would all prefer to stay clear of:  cancers, alzheimer's, parkinson's, whatever.  As a reformed smoker, I'm particularly leery of inhalable stuff:  particulates (looking at my blasting cabinet), fumes (looking at my MIG welder), and can't-see-it stuff (looking at the isocyanate-catalyzed paint that I bought but now won't use).  All of us car-hobby people get careless from time to time, and we will never be able to be quite sure whether, for example, that time when we blew out a brake caliper with compressed air was the culprit. 

And then there all of the other unknowns.  Like airborne virus transmissions in public building ventilation systems. Or the asymptomatic carrier sitting across the aisle on the bus.  Or radon gas in your basement.  Or driving in city traffic.

Life is dangerous.  But all we can do is take reasonable precautions.  Otherwise, it gets silly and you spend all your time worrying.

Unfortunately, life is unpredictable, too.  We all need to remind ourselves to make the most of our time.    A little creating-and-restoring-and-improving in the garage or workshop is part of that for most of us here, of course.

I hope lots more members reach out to our friend, Mark / NorthernZ, even if it's just with a few words of support.  Hang in there, buddy.  We're all pulling for you.

• Like 2

Hey Patcon, I took Zantac on and off for a long time! 31 years  as an Air Traffic Controller did a number on my digestion! The problem with Zantac is it is metabolized into a compound called  MDMA, I think, which is highly carcinogenic. The makers of Zantac KNEW this and kept quiet about it, hence the lawsuit. Namerow, you are right, you can never be sure what caused the cancer, and it's futile to speculate. Take precautions as best you can to protect yourself and live your life! For all I know it could be burnt rubber or racing fuel fumes that caused it! There was a lot of that in my youth!

Grannyknot, I never took Prevacid, but any of these drugs can be problematic, I always tried natural remedies first, but even those can cause unforeseen problems

I met with a friend today for coffee and he wants first crack at the car, so when I finally am ready to let go, I'll offer it to him first.

• Like 1