IGNORED

F54/P79 Swap Project

My 2 cents . I agree with the diagram above. Your chain wears which changes the relative position of the cam to the crank. Flipping around the sprocket to a different index hole and ALIGNING the cam to that hole advances the cam. I’ve done a lot of cam degree-ing with a fresh chain and sprocket . You have to move the cam in order to get the sprocket to index in. Nothing gets moved on the chain. 

Not sure if that helped or not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Move the sprocket 1 hole tooth on an extremely loose chain to get timing back (so there are now 41 teeth between the default dots rather than 42).  Does that moved link now stay on the tight side or the loose side when the engine is running and the crank is at TDC?

Here's the rub. You asked about a moved link... The point is there was no moved link. You moved the sprocket, not the link.

All the links stayed in the exact same location.
All the links that were on the tight side before the sprocket change are still on the tight side
All the links that were on the loose side before the sprocket change are still on the loose side.

You did not move any links. You carefully took off the sprocket without disturbing the chain position, rotated the sprocket one link clockwise (without disturbing the chain position), and then put the sprocket back on (without disturbing the chain position).

The links never moved. At all. Ever.

After the move, there will be 41 links between the default dots rather than 42 links*. But not because you moved a link. It's because you moved the sprocket.

* Note that I have never counted them to verify that number. I'm counting on you for the accuracy of that.