IGNORED

1970 Franklin Mint 240Z up for Auction on BaT

How does all this 'gold medallion' stuff work? is i just based on the quality of its restoration?  There's lots of amazing restorations around, none factory perfect but more than comparable.

Edited by Jason240z

When I was judging for the ZCCA, there was a well-defined judging manual and description for the stock classes.  I recall that batteries were overlooked for authenticity.  Normally, judging evaluates the car on everything you can see from one knee on the ground and up.  It was a 300 point system broken down into areas of the car - engine bay, interior, body, etc.  Points were deducted for cleanliness, originality, and condition.  I usually dinked a car one point for cleanliness, five points for an incorrect part, but hardly ever ten points unless the item was junk.  I recall that a minimum score of 280 got into the "medallion round" when the car was re-judged by a selected team, pretty knowledgable guys.  Anything over 290 (ten point deduct) got the ZCCA's highest award, the Gold Cup or the Gold Medallion.  Frankie, I heard, scored a 295.

As I said in the BaT comments section, I can think of several equitable cars.  Most of them are Gold Medallion 'stock' cars and some are Gold Cup 'modified' cars.  All the Vintage Zs fall into this category.  And I think the low VIN cars do too.  In all cases though, the car has to really sparkle.  I agree as gogriz91 pointed out, that green car looked tired and dirty.

• Like 1

As people on this forum have said for years, "Save your receipts, your owners manual, your window sticker, your original bill of sale, anything that documents the history of the car or makes it a little more special than the rest." as it will add to the luster when it comes time to sell.  That all worked for the BaT seller.

Does this count?

6489973e36dc9f74b46b48583e3984d4.jpg

6b11ca8fc72d6a1d59132b1a9bba7b83.jpg
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

When I was judging for the ZCCA, there was a well-defined judging manual and description for the stock classes.  I recall that batteries were overlooked for authenticity.  Normally, judging evaluates the car on everything you can see from one knee on the ground and up.  It was a 300 point system broken down into areas of the car - engine bay, interior, body, etc.  Points were deducted for cleanliness, originality, and condition.  I usually dinked a car one point for cleanliness, five points for an incorrect part, but hardly ever ten points unless the item was junk.  I recall that a minimum score of 280 got into the "medallion round" when the car was re-judged by a selected team, pretty knowledgable guys.  Anything over 290 (ten point deduct) got the ZCCA's highest award, the Gold Cup or the Gold Medallion.  Frankie, I heard, scored a 295.

As I said in the BaT comments section, I can think of several equitable cars.  Most of them are Gold Medallion 'stock' cars and some are Gold Cup 'modified' cars.  All the Vintage Zs fall into this category.  And I think the low VIN cars do too.  In all cases though, the car has to really sparkle.  I agree as gogriz91 pointed out, that green car looked tired and dirty.

Thanks for that, so this car wouldn't have been marked down for the bits that aren't 'correct' or missing?

I must point out, I think that this is a great car, just not 125k great!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 240260280 said:

One must accept:

• price is set by the whim of the purchasing population.
  • prices increase with time and the value of some older items increases more than the values of others.
  • price increases do not occur homogeneously across the full population of products.
  • price increases do not occur homogeneously across geographical distributions.
  • price increases do not always linearly scale with time.

Pricing is bursty, price-growth is bursty, buyers are complex and independent entities who are wise, suckers, or carefree.

Please allow me to add one more bullet:

•. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Dennis

• Like 2

On 6/5/2019 at 6:50 AM, zspert said:

This is the late, and very missed, Paul Taylor's car. It was my shop that brought it up to 295 points and serviced it for many years. Very fond memories of convoying to Z car shows with Paul and lovely wife Sandy.  Seeing all the crap going down on that site depresses me to no end

What I would like to know is what you/your shop did to the vehicle to bring it up to the 295 point mark. I'm very interested in some specifics if you don't mind elaborating. I do have a valid reason for asking this question and I'm by no means meaning it disrespectfully

Check out what I just found in my files.  This was the original order form that was sent to me from the Franklin Mint.  I used one of these to order my model.  I have two copies of this set and am willing to send it to the new owner of the Z purchased on BaT (if you don't already have a copy).  Just send me a PM.

• Like 2

Very cool. Note the lack of an OK decal that did appear on the model. Wonder what happened?

I had the pleasure of attending the annual White Rose Z Car Club car show this past Sat.  It was held at the city park in the quiet central Pa town of Mt. Carmel. The weather couldn't have been better at about 72 degrees, bright sun and a slight breeze. Got to renew friendships with the club members I knew when they annually held what is recognized as the gold standard as it applies to Z car shows. Of course the subject of the BAT sale of the late Paul Taylor's 240 was talked about. A lot of chat about the many times Paul competed in their event and how tough his competition often was.  Some pretty strong opinions, almost universally negative, about the silly and disrespectful nicknames being thrown about for the car.  For instance, not one of us could remember Paul ever referring to his Z as  "Goldie". Anyway, we all agreed that our respectful reference would always be "Paul's Car".  The new owner would be wise to use that reference as it has significantly more provenance in the Z world then the Franklin Mint Car, or any silly nickname being considered, as the Franklin Mint was but a chapter in the history of the most honored Z car to date.      Cheers