IGNORED

Just what the Doctor ordered. 1977 280z

grannyknot

@Careless was kind enough to loan me his spindle pin stump puller, wonderful tool. It will pull the pin or pull the threads right off.  I still had to heat the cast iron up with an Oxy/Acet torch but I managed to save both spindle pins and the wedgy lock pins.

Anyone tell me what the story is with this cover? (last pic) It sits over the P/S rear control arm lock bolt, looks like it may have had a piece of rubber riveted to it in the past, not at all sure why it is there.

IMG_1063.JPGIMG_1061.JPGIMG_1065.JPGIMG_1066.JPGIMG_1048.JPGIMG_1047.JPG

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 1

That plate is a mystery to me also.  One thing for sure though is that you can't remove that swing arm bolt with that plate in.  Maybe some kind of safety thing?   Jai's Redwing had the driver side bolt fall out and the passenger side was very loose but still in place after she had all the bushings replaced when she bought the car. They either didn't torque the bolts when installed or they worked loose after driving.

You can stare at it for hours and the only reason that really fits well seems to be cosmetic.  Just hiding that bolt.  Probably bugged the heck out of some Nissan VP, "can't we do something about that ugly bolt head?", so they fabbed them up and stuck them on.

• Haha 1

I got the engine back together, just waiting on two more freeze plugs that were missing from the kit. The valve cover is a spare, the good one is on the shelf until the engine is back in the car. Picked up freshly sand blasted parts, now that they are clean I'll disassemble and replace the bearings. One more batch of of suspension parts to be blasted and painted and then on to  the shell and the wiring harness.

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 3

The heater core arrived from Rockauto,  SPECTRA PREMIUM 94741,  I'm going to try and fit it this weekend.  Also finished the steering rack, new bearings, seal, cleaned and re packed it, just waiting on the second set of bellows, the first set, AC Delco 46A7010A is on Rockauto's list for rack&pinion bellows that fit a 280z, well they don't, way too big.  That weird rear control arm bolt cover came back from the platers, still have no idea what purpose it serves but at least it's not rusting anymore.IMG_1056.JPGIMG_1057.JPGIMG_1058.JPGIMG_1091.JPGIMG_1088.JPG

• Like 1