IGNORED

Imagine that!

siteunseen

Based on that video, I'd put the blame squarely on the cyclist. She has nothing to make herself visible, whereas the car, with headlights, is very visible. Additionally, car has the right of way, cyclist does not. Responsibility was on the cyclist to be sure the road was clear before crossing, and even as she's about to get hit, she seems to be totally unaware of the car - how?! I have no idea. It's a shame she died, but as far as I'm concerned it was her own fault.

Look at this video.

1. The driver is looking at cell phone, then looks up and kills the cyclist.

2. The cyclist did not jump out in front of the car. They were crossing the road.

In my opinion, the driver was useless and the system for detecting objects on the road failed.

The contrast on the camera seems to be manipulated as bike reflectors, etc are easily picked up in low light.

I was taught to not over drive your head lights, meaning anything you can see you should be able to stop for. If something jumps out from behind a wall or vegetation, then there is not much you can do, but then again you can assess the possibility of that happening and adjust for it (something right next to a road that blocks view, slow down). I do this a lot when I see animals or humans along side streets, I assume they will jump out into traffic, and make adjustments for that. Pretty much the only thing that gets me is when someone cuts abruptly in front and slams on brakes. That can happen, but generally they just cut in front too close. this happens a lot on freeways, too much strict interpretation of abiding by not driving in the passing lane. When I pass I pass quickly AND far enough so when I pull back into the right lane I have not vilolated the 3 second rule. Most of the time on Hiways this is not the case when I am being passed. A solution is to find a truck that is going the speed limit and stay behind him at a safe distance.  Most of the wannabe race car drivers will not want to loose there spot in the passing line by getting between me and the truck. so they just stay in their neat tailgating passing lane going 90 mph with a fraction of a second distance from the next guy. I don't follow so close as to make passing difficult, just the threat of being behind a truck going the speed limit seems enough of a deterrent. In the dash cam the cyclist seem well into the crossing and not going very fast. Seem to me not overdriving headlights would have worked. You can also go high beams momentary if you are in a situation that looks difficult to read, don't blind the oncoming but a quick flash to evaluate comes in handy.

Edited by Dave WM

The person on the bike was far enough away for the sensors on the Chinese suv to detect as they do not need light. As well an attentive person would have braked, and/or hit the horn, and or swerved.

Like I mentioned, the video seems doctored with an unusual black spot covering the person for most of it.... something smells funny.

The way I understand it is the woman was crossing the road in the dark and was NOT on a crosswalk.  A human would have also likely killed her.  Sure, Uber will be hit hard on this one, but, it still doesn't make sense why this woman was expecting a car to stop for her.  I see this all the time..  people cross the road and expect cars to stop.  Frankly, I will never assume a car will stop for me until I make eye contact with the driver.  This is just common sense.  Driverless cars are still likely to become a reality once these kinks are worked out.  Even then, I'm never crossing the road expecting a driver(less) to see me...