IGNORED

Rolling Shell with no VIN

87mj

In Nevada if you mix and match parts from different vehicles, the title should be permanently branded as rebuilt, reconstructed, or specially constructed:
https://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-482.html

And when you sell a vehicle like that, you are required to disclose the modifications:
http://dmvnv.com/pdfforms/vp064.pdf
http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/vp104.pdf

It's fine as long as you brand the title accordingly.

NRS 482.098  “Rebuilt vehicle” defined.
1.  “Rebuilt vehicle” means a vehicle:
(a) That is a salvage vehicle as that term is defined in NRS 487.770, excluding a nonrepairable vehicle; or
(b) One or more major components of which have been replaced as set forth in this subsection. For the purposes of this subsection, the requisite major components of a vehicle which must be replaced for a vehicle to be considered rebuilt are the:
(1) Cowl assembly;
(2) Rear clip assembly;
(3) Roof assembly;
(4) Floor pan assembly;
(5) Conventional frame coupled with one additional major component; or
(6) Complete front inner structure for a unibody.
2.  The term does not include a vehicle for which the only change is the installation of a truck cab assembly.
3.  For the purposes of this section, “replaced” means the substitution, or change in whole, of a new, used or after-market part of a vehicle.

NRS 482.100  “Reconstructed vehicle” defined.  “Reconstructed vehicle” means any vehicle which shall have been assembled or constructed largely by means of essential parts, new or used, derived from other vehicles or makes of vehicles of various names, models or types, or which, if originally otherwise constructed, shall have been materially altered by the removal of essential parts or by the addition or substitution of essential parts, new or used, derived from other vehicles or makes of vehicles.

NRS 482.120  “Specially constructed vehicle” defined.  “Specially constructed vehicle” means any vehicle which shall not have been originally constructed under a distinctive name, make, model or type by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles.

15 hours ago, tzagi1 said:

Dear mike, you do speak with much authority, did you call you local dmv and ask? perhaps you should.

Call the main DMV and tell them I'm planning to do xyz, do I need to do anything else? its that simple.

Over the last 30 years I have done DOZENS and DOZENS of swaps, Jeep on a toyota frame, Isuzu amigo on a toyota frame (don't believe me? I got pics)

I'll get right on that...

• Haha 1

Cap...

These laws are for insurance companies , these are guidelines when the insurance company must report for a salvage title. nothing to do with private person and their personal property.

1.  “Rebuilt vehicle” means a vehicle:
(a) That is a salvage vehicle 

Is the car a salvage vehicle? .lets look up the legal definition:

Salvage vehicle means a motor vehicle that at any time has been declared a total loss vehicle, flood-damaged vehicle, non-repairable vehicle or had “salvage” or a similar word or designation placed on any title issued for the vehicle. ... Vehicles with less than 65 percent damage are not considered salvage vehicles.

Do you as an owner declare your vehicle a total loss? do you determine if it has more or less then 65% damage? no, the insurance adjuster does.

If you think the discussion here is getting getting too pedantic, wander over the Ferrarichat.com and see how the big boys duke it out over faked and transplanted VIN's and chassis numbers.  In F-car-land, certain practitioners have been accused of building complete cars around 3 square inches of metal with a frame number stamping... and then selling the results for a lot more than any S30 Datsun is ever going to raise.  The debate over there often centres around whether certain well-known names in the biz were or were not actually criminals.

In Nevada, one of the definitions of a "Rebuilt vehicle" is one that has had one or more listed major components replaced.

NRS 482.098 “Rebuilt vehicle” defined.
1. “Rebuilt vehicle” means a vehicle:
(a) That is a salvage vehicle as that term is defined in NRS 487.770, excluding a nonrepairable vehicle; or
(b) One or more major components of which have been replaced as set forth in this subsection.......... snip

Might not be the way they do it in other states, but that's how they roll in NV.

23 minutes ago, Namerow said:

If you think the discussion here is getting getting too pedantic, wander over the Ferrarichat.com and see how the big boys duke it out over faked and transplanted VIN's and chassis numbers.  In F-car-land, certain practitioners have been accused of building complete cars around 3 square inches of metal with a frame number stamping... and then selling the results for a lot more than any S30 Datsun is ever going to raise.  The debate over there often centres around whether certain well-known names in the biz were or were not actually criminals.

And as it should... a car's value doesn't change anything re: legality etc.. - it just makes it more important to do due diligence when laying out that sort of coin. However the principal is exactly the same to me. It doesn't matter if they are $2k Corolla's for $1M Ferrari's. 

All my S30Z's have chassis, engine bay ID plate, compliance plate (AU market specific and if applicable) matching with engine no's etc.. I would not buy some half baked heretic bastardised car with questionable identity. Too much headache and very much a case of caveat emptor.

One good thing that came out this thread is that I went out and located my stamped VIN in the firewall.  It matches the documents and the tags!  Yay.  So, someday, when 1976 280Z's are collectible, I'll be ready.

I've realized that much of tzag's energy might come from the fact that he has done many many body, chassis, parts, etc. swaps over the years, as he states in previous posts.  He's basically defending his past.  Really, he could have just said "gee whiz, I've done a ton of these types of swaps over the years, maybe I should see what these guys think about that".  No need to wizz a bunch of people off just because they're arguing the other side.  As Namerow implies, this stuff goes on around the world.  There's legal and there's opinion.  You buy based on opinion.  The legal part is a formality.