IGNORED

main shaft nub FS5W71B 280 ZX

Dave WM

decided to check clearance on all gears, all looking good there (in tolerance with SDS sheet of transmission manual). waiting on my helper to do video work. Also will use wood dowel to help keep everything in order. Could not see any defects with gear teeth, as far as chips or odd wear patterns (they all look the same to me).

One area that I seem to remember that could be a deal-killer is the shafts themselves.  If I recall right, the needle bearings ride directly on the shaft.  So if they die and  get ground up they can damage the shaft.  Eurodat probably knows for sure.

I think that if you had a needle bearing problem the gear involved would rock or move perpendicular to the shaft.  Might give everything a good wiggle while you're measuring clearances.

Edited by Zed Head

Dave,

I changed all three on mine. My transmission had that same wiggle you are describing. The old ones had a little more. They will always have a little play in them because the transmission uses C3 bearing clearances. C3 is a clearances spec, not a tolerance spec. 

What you should pay more attention to the surface of the shaft and the inner surface of the gears.They should smooth and a little bit be shinny. If they are a very dull grey colour or spotty dull grey, that is a sign of wear. It could cause huming and whinning when you use those gears.

Here is my list of parts I used when I rebuilt my transmission in 2012. Some of the parts are no longer available through nissan, but you might be able to find aftermarket stuff out there.

Tranny_Rebuild_FEB2012.pdf

That "Don't use" is about the soft metal bush in the end of the rear extension. It supports the propeller shaft yoke. The SKU 303066 fit, but some people report it spinning in the housing because its too tight on the yoke. Its a imperial size, not metric. Its going back 5 years when I wrote that, but it was something about it spinning and wearing the transmission housing beyond use.

Here is a link to the correct one: Nissan-62.

http://www.americanpowertrainwarehouse.com/fs5w71-transmission-extension-housing-bushing-fits-datsun-nissan-77-4-cyl-cars-trucks-nis-62/

Edited by EuroDat

that is the one I got, this one is out there too

https://sales.omegamachine.com/Nissan_FS5W71C_Extension_Housing_Bushing_p/71411.htm

crazy shipping 25$ plus the 20$. I got the NISSAN-62 shipped for 9$ total. The omega looks more like what is in there though, has a spiral from front to back, the one I got has more of a X shaped deal, and look like its a rolled sheet (you can see the joint) while the omega looks like a machined from billet.