IGNORED

Nissan Factory restoration cars

Sunline

Carl,

Yes, remember the valve stem cap discussion?  That seems like ages ago.  I have always contended that the Vintage Zs shouldn't be judged / compared to the ZCCA stock class rules.  They are unique cars on their own IMO.  There are a couple of things going with this particular car that should be considered.  Primarily the asking price is full blown retail / profit from what appears to be a high-end dealer.  I would rather go along with your experience with watching the "average" selling market and determining relative value.  Generally I agree with your assessment.

There was a discussion about this 240Z restored by Les Cannaday on Facebook (Dec 15, 2016, Datsun 240Z Registry of America).  According to Les the customer wanted a nice "daily driver" restoration, so this is by no means a concours restoration.  It was also pointed out this car has passed through several dealers and now resides at a dealer in St. Louis.  If this car has gone through several dealers, that could explain the high markup on the asking price.  It's certainly not worth $70K but it is a nice example of a 240Z!

Robert S.

1 hour ago, EhlersRS said:

There was a discussion about this 240Z restored by Les Cannaday on Facebook (Dec 15, 2016, Datsun 240Z Registry of America).  According to Les the customer wanted a nice "daily driver" restoration, so this is by no means a concours restoration.  It was also pointed out this car has passed through several dealers and now resides at a dealer in St. Louis.  If this car has gone through several dealers, that could explain the high markup on the asking price.  It's certainly not worth $70K but it is a nice example of a 240Z!

Robert S.

That car would certainly be one of the world's most beautiful daily drivers!  

Being restored as a daily driver explains for the minor items we noted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carl Beck said:

Anyone know of a real #1 or #2 Condition - aka Concours Quality 240Z being offered For Sale for $50K or less today. Please point it out. Any top Condition #3 examples for sale today for $30K or less today? Mid to low range #3 condition 240Z's are selling on Bring-A-Trailer above $25K..

Point is - it is all about supply and demand - - I don't see much supply in the face of rising demand.

Chris - if the car being discussed here - was judged at an annual Z Car Convention - In STOCK CLASS - would it score 90%? Seems a lot of deductions are obvious.. Concours Quality is all about fine details in perfect condition.. Correct down to the valve stem caps!

I concur with all of Carl's & Chris' comments.  My experience has been quite similar.  My car was restored by 

Pierre-z who, along with Les, were shops designated by Nissan to do the original Vintage Restorations.

This car, I am confident, was done to a very high standard throughout with as-new reliability.   I would say that,

as a current condition #3 car, it's value is at least $35,000.  What takes it to a condition #1 or #2 concours

car are all the little thing thus far mentioned, plus much more.  Also noticed, the door weatherstrips are tubular

generic, on-off hazard decal is on wrong side of switch, no vinyl boot on dash harness on right side of console.  

I would, also, guess that many fasteners used to build this car are new, aftermarket without the proper torque

codes or finish in order to keep this car reliably together and avoid liability issues that restored used

fasteners might incur.

If one was to renew this car to factory correct, it would probably take another $15,000 parts and labor, and 

I would estimate it's value, when completed with all of the correct, almost impossible to find, NOS parts 

at, in the neighborhoods of $60,000.

Just my thoughts!

Dan

Edited by AZ-240z

Update for all my fellow Vintage Z enthusiasts.  I had to have copies printed for all the inquiries (8 so far) and will have them posted in the morning.  Thanks to everyone for the great response.  Robert S, I got you covered.

Chris

• Like 1

I think I can see who the judges would be at a Z concours..... You boys certainly know your $^!#.

So at this point I will be looking for a car similar in overall condition as this Z with a complete frame off restoration for a more reasonable 35 to 40K Does this sound feasible? 

Checked out the Fairlady 432. Is this a fair price? Do you think it would be good investment?  This is a car I would drive but treat like an investment much like I do with my Lexus LFA. I just happen to be one of the minority that understand and appreciate Japenese craftsmanship and dedication to producing an exceptional product. As I am sure you all have noticed what has happened with the Toyota 2000 GT which I considerd buying when it was at 200,000 ....oops missed that boat. 

On a side note is it possible to drive a right side driver seat in the U.S.? This is one car,that based on what was wriiten in the ad, was never built in left hand drive.