IGNORED

The dreaded oil pan pull!

rcb280z

3 hours ago, gwri8 said:

As for torque, "use the force Luke".

Haha, I was thinking the same thing! Too funny.

I do have a ratchet wrench.

I bought some parts dip today to soak the bolts when I remove them. They are so guncked up that they look like 12mm bolts instead of 10mm. That's how bad the leak has gotten. I may do the front seal will I'm under there. You know, "While your under there" syndrome. 

• Like 1

My first "big" project on mine was the front seal.  The PO said it was using about a qt of oil every 700 or so miles. Turns out it was all going out the front seal.   It….was….everywhere, including all down the oil pan.  Might be part of your issue? It took 2 cans of engine degreaser and a roll of shop towels to get most of it.  And In case you didn't know, engine degreaser kills grass and dirt for a long, long  time. So be careful with that. Personal experience speaking here. 

Now you get to pull the radiator and fan also, which is not to terrible.  If it is leaking bad up there, be sure to check your crank for wear. Sometimes it gets a groove in it from the previous seal. You might have to put a sleeve on it. O'Reillys carries that part if you need it.

That's why I said find 4 bolts that are very easy to access and save them for last.
You can always set up a jack stand or wood to hold pan for when dropping the last few bolts. The crossmember will help with the front , but you can use something for the back. That way the pan wouldn't hang from any bolts and tweak the pan

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

My front seal is just oozing right now. No drip. I think I can replace it without removing the radiator. 

Oh yeah the engine degreaser I have used in the past is toxic on just about everything it comes in contact with. I'll be using it in the garage with the doors open and lots of rags and towels.

Just going to take my time and do it right.

Castrol Super Clean is really good for degreasing. Will even remove synthetics. Just don't let it dry on aluminum. . Supposedly Bio-degradable too.

Regarding pan bolts. I always clean them thoroughly, wash off any solvent with Brake Clean. Then install them with one drop of Medium strength thread locker.

I pulled the pan in car on my 240 with a L28 engine. Just used combination of hand tools to get all the bolts out. Not too bad as I recall.

What I soon found out is that pan does not just pull out. There is a little something called an oil pick up in the pan that

of course is bolted to the block. The next thing I did was unbolt the motor mounts to lift engine some to wiggle pan out.

Nope, that did not work. Next you have to reach in with a box end wrench and loosen the pickup. Still a struggle, so

I removed the pickup all together. Then the pan came right out. Bead blasted old peeling paint off pan. Then primed and painted.

Then a coat of clear. This step makes for wiping the pan in the future easier. Install in reverse order, but don't get in a hurry

and scratch the new paint like I did. I used the felpro pan gasket. I used all new s.s. bolts and washers. If you are going to use the

old bolts you may as well paint them as well to make job look good. First time I ever did it so had no idea what it was going to entail. 

Not real fun doing on your back but got her done.