IGNORED

1971 HLS30-14938 "Lily" build

Patcon

There has to be a reason its 400 more. Looking at the pictures on the websites I noticed that the Vintage dash has the metal integrated into the center dash area and the datsun garage one doesn't seem to have that. Maybe call vintage and ask why you should buy their dash. Still cheaper than I paid for Just dashes. Your car is going to look great. 

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 3.30.32 PM.png

• Thanks 1

Might want to ask @Dave WM about his experience. I believe he had to transfer the metal. Way back when I had to replace my dash due to a clown stealing my stereo, Dashes were still available and came as a complete piece with the metal.

My guess is that the Datsun garage dash is supplied by Vintage Dashes.  Perhaps they got a bulk order discount at the time. I  know that Jay, owner of jdmcarparts.com, distributes his parts to Motorsports and other Z suppliers.  I think Vintage Dashes does the same thing. Not a lot of people out there making Dashes. Datsun Garage dash may be a blem.

Also, FWIW, I love the Vintage Dashes. I have assembled and installed 4 of them and they look great. I have done 2 Just Dashes and they are good, but do not maintain the shape of the original dash. I was not happy with how they shaved the foam over the 3 center gauges. The foam was thicker in that location than the original.  I posted pics of the difference on one of my blogs here. Both companies use the same black plastic overwrap and have the same grain,  which is different from the original but not a big deal. Only nerds like me pay attention to material textures. 

Also, I can relate to your windshield loss. I accidentally dropped a head onto an original Z windshield when working in tight quarters at my old house. I  was crushed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

Made a little more progress today:

I also got the hatch on the car. I did it buy myself because I wanted to see if I could. It's still too high and needs a little more adjustment, but it's on. I will install the strut soon and work on the glass and inner weather strip soon. I hate doing weather strips because I always struggle to get them to stick...

I highly recommend the contact adhesive I am using.  If you let it sit for about 2-3 minutes after applying to the body and the rubber, it sticks extremely well.

• Like 2

Looking great. Its game on now.

My defroster hoses had been modified by mice. I got some decent replacements from datsun rescue. 

I need to go through my "extra" box and get you some pictures to see if you can use any of it. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I made a little progress a couple of weeks ago and a little more today

So two weeks ago I terminated the other end of the parking brake cable. I weld the first end but decided I would try something different on this end. So I epoxied the pin and added an aluminum crimp behind it

20240310_155653_resized.jpg

20240323_115517_resized.jpg

I also got in an order from Eastern Beaver and finally got the fuel sender ends redone. I softened these a few years ago with wintergreen oil but it didn't last. I got new boots from 240zrubberparts and new ends from Eastern beaver. Cut the old off and re crimped new ends

20240323_114713_resized.jpg

20240323_114616_resized.jpg

20240310_142105_resized.jpg

20240310_142113_resized.jpg

20240323_115158_resized.jpg

20240323_115410_resized.jpg

• Like 2

I also worked on the CV axles and adapters. What a pain in the ...

So both axles were a little too long at full droop. So I had to open the ends up and reverse the Tulip cage to make them a little shorter. I also ground off the end of the shaft to make them a little shorter maybe 3-4mm. You need all you can get.

They also interfered with the ST rear sway bar. I'm wondering if the bar is supposed to go over the half shafts??

So I took the bar off for now

20240323_144553_resized.jpg

20240323_144555_resized.jpg

20240323_143641_resized.jpg

20240323_154132_resized.jpg

20240323_154932_resized.jpg

20240323_143258_resized.jpg

20240323_150357_resized.jpg

I also worked on the parking brake some to see if I can get it working. It will clamp, sort of, but it doesn't want to back off. But the calipers are dry inside. Cody thinks I aught to bleed the brakes before I get too worried about that yet.

I got the passenger side CV axle in after about 4 or 5 tries and making it as short as possible.

20240323_151533_resized.jpg

20240323_151924_resized.jpg

20240323_151930_resized.jpg

I shorted the drivers side CV axle but I can't get it to snap into the differential. Even pushing with a pry bar. It aught not be that difficult to get in. The passenger side went in without too much fuss. You have to pry it out but it snaps in pretty easy.

I was hoping @grannyknot or @Zed Head or some other member who spends time at HybridZ could give me some direction on how to deal with the axle I can't get to snap in. I've looked in the diff and the snap ring doesn't look like a problem. So I have no idea, but it's really frustrating!!

• Like 1

I'd remove any burrs from the end that needs to slip through the circlip.  Maybe even smooth the end of the axle down and reshape it a bit so that it slips through the circlip easier. Add some grease.  Once the end gets started it should slide easily until the grooves align and the clip drops in.  The axle end is probably jamming the circlip against the back of the groove instead of expanding it.

• Agree 1