IGNORED

1971 HLS30-14938 "Lily" build

Patcon

15 hours ago, Patcon said:

What did you use for refinishing the panels?

Other than primer of your choice, I use a process developed by one of our forum members: Duplicolor BFM0360 FORD DARK SHADOW GRAY, topped by Duplicolor HWP106 WHEEL MATTE CLEARCOAT.  Here's a closeup pic of a grill I've done to show the color.

Fascia-07.jpg

Grill 08.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Patcon said:

I considered that.

I got the top pulled together with out too much trouble

20190101_140207.jpg

The bottom, not so much. I got a lot of it back, but not all of it. There is a good bit of tension on that chain

20190101_160123.jpg20190101_170311.jpg

I need to figure out a solution for these clips

20190101_170629.jpg

The little clips that hold the tail light finisher are actually a loose piece. They are just clipped onto the brackets.

Anybody got any ideas?

I would think someone could find a suitable replacement. @240260280 Hoover??

20190101_173135.jpg20190101_173143.jpg

My two big concerns are, can I get it back on and will it scrape the paint off when it goes back on. We'll see...

I removed the chrome strips when painting and they went back on without any problems

• Like 1

@Patcon

The clips are made of spring steel. You can tell the good ones from the bad ones by picking on them with your fingernail when they are in place. If they resonate with a high note they are good----low note they are cracked. Cracked ones tend to allow the finisher panel to pooch-out under vibrations. They just don't grip the finisher panel tightly enough.

I have a spare set of the finisher clips for you.

I need to get over to the storage building and dig them out. I'll send them once I find them.

Edited by Zup
nevermind
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, nix240z said:

The little clips that hold the tail light finisher are actually a loose piece. They are just clipped onto the brackets.

I wonder if the clip-on design was chosen to provide a bit of compliance for positioning the finisher panels.  Or maybe it was just a strategy for reducing assembly time. 

If time permits, please post a 'front' and 'back' picture of one of the clips.  I can't see the detail for how the Clip clips onto the body bracket.

7 hours ago, Zup said:

@Patcon

The clips are made of spring steel. You can tell the good ones from the bad ones by picking on them with your fingernail when they are in place. If they resonate with a high note they are good----low note they are cracked. Cracked ones tend to allow the finisher panel to pooch-out under vibrations. They just don't grip the finisher panel tightly enough.

I have a spare set of the finisher clips for you.

I need to get over to the storage building and dig them out. I'll send them once I find them.

That would be fabulous Jim!!!

What is the original finish? Were they painted with the car? It seems like black chromate would be the right color for them...

6 hours ago, Namerow said:

I wonder if the clip-on design was chosen to provide a bit of compliance for positioning the finisher panels.  Or maybe it was just a strategy for reducing assembly time. 

If time permits, please post a 'front' and 'back' picture of one of the clips.  I can't see the detail for how the Clip clips onto the body bracket.

I will work on them this weekend

8 minutes ago, Patcon said:

What is the original finish? Were they painted with the car? It seems like black chromate would be the right color for them...

@Patcon

On every car I removed them from they were painted the body color of the car. Both cars were original paint cars. Hadn't been re-sprayed. (They were too far gone for that) :cry:

You can't really see them when the finisher panel is installed. Only the bottom edge of the clip is visible and it doesn't project beyond the finisher panel. Flush or slightly short, IIRC.

On 9/30/2018 at 6:58 PM, Patcon said:

I also worked on the steering rack this weekend

These tags were in the rack when I disassembled it. The were wrapped around the large nut that holds the inner tie rod to the end of the rack. I did not reinstall them

20180927_170029.jpg

@PatconYou know that voids your warranty right? ??LOL

I bet a beer you even rip the tags off mattresses and pillows..... Buwhaaaahaaa

Did you ever get the Toyota brake upgrade figured out? I have a set I got from the junkyard for core use but just boxed them up. You want?

4 minutes ago, wal280z said:

@PatconYou know that voids your warranty right? ??LOL

I bet a beer you even rip the tags off mattresses and pillows..... Buwhaaaahaaa

Did you ever get the Toyota brake upgrade figured out? I have a set I got from the junkyard for core use but just boxed them up. You want?

Actually I cut them off! ROFL

I think I have it figured out. The rotors are on the car with the calipers rebuilt and set. Thanks for the offer though! :beer:

• Haha 1