IGNORED

How much should I pay for this 240z?

hal17v

20 minutes ago, John Coffey said:

The issue with the Pinto fuel tank was the tank filler connection to the tank and protruding bolts that punctured the tank.  The problem was not where the tank was positioned.

As noted above by John.  However, location of the tank also contributed to the process in rear end collisions as the tank was between the differential and the rear bumper and would come into contact the bolts mentioned on impact.  In one of the many legal cases, the Studebaker Avanti was referenced as having its gas tank in a safer location above the differential and between the trunk and the back seat.  The Avanti was used as an example to show that the proper design was common knowledge at the time the Pinto was built.

i remember a political cartoon published at the time of the Pinto issue that depicted a B52 bomber dropping Pintos instead of bombs over Vietnam

Dennis

How much to pay for a roach coach is really the wrong question to ponder. A needy project car is a three part equation. First part is how much to pay. Second part is how much will the restoration cost in time and money. Third part is can you afford the second part - if the answer is no then walk away. 

• Like 2

On 2/24/2016 at 11:41 AM, Mark Maras said:

Everything wrong with this car is typical of all unrestored Zs. The one thing that affects the value the most isn't mentioned in the list. What condition is the body in? Rust is the enemy. Any rust you can easily see is just the tip of the iceberg. Mechanical work on a Z is a walk in the park compared to "rustoration". If the body is sound, it would certainly be worth $2000.00. It could also be worth as little as $500.00 if it needs a lot of rust repair. Choose wisely. Many people have become overwhelmed when they opened up their Z and realized the amount of rust in a it. It's hard to stay motivated when you keep finding more and more rust.

The rust inspired me even more!

15 hours ago, esmit208 said:

The rust inspired me even more!

How in the world are you inspired (motivated) by rust. Please share your secret with us. I get depressed when I have to deal with it.

Why do I feel like I've climbed a mountain of rusty scrap metal to ask for wisdom from the sage at the top?

• 3 weeks later...

I never saw an update on this after the pictures were posted.  Hal, did you ever end up buying the car or did you pass on it?  Just based on the pictures it is pretty rough and has been living under a tarp.  It all depends on what your plans are for it.  As others have said, it would not make a good drift machine but it could be possibly be brought back to road legal status and be a fun cruiser, keep the cage, and get it running.  Since the transmission is out of the car and the motor does not run, you have to look at it as roller.  Depending on the level of rust and any other body work that is needed I would say its a $1500 car.  More info about the condition of the car, suspension, what kind of modifications have been done, etc. will help.  Plus, if you get any extra parts, wheels, and the like that will influence the price too.  At the end of the day, my suggestion is to look it over really good and make an offer you feel comfortable with.