IGNORED

Bringing back the RedZ

DaveR

I'm not against doing that, but I will admit being new to these older cars that distributors are still fairly new to me. Where would I go about sourcing the parts for a 280z style swap and what all would I need?

I really need to find some junkyards around me to look for these part swaps....

I bought a remanufactured Cardone from amazon.com for a '79 ZX, $100.  Then the Crane PS20 coil for around $40.  You'll need a ZX cap and button, bigger gapped spark plugs.  Here's what I followed,  http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html the 240 wiring diagram is at the bottom of the page, I read that about 5 times before I did the swap and boy what a difference it made. :)  

You'll need the ZX adapter from a junkyard car or zcarsource.com might have some.  Here's the write up on a filter after the fuel tank, I found the Fram G2 fits better on 240s, http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuel/g3filter/index.htm

Thank you Blue!

Quick look on partsfinder, 

Engine
Nissan 280 ZX 79 280zx non turbo 68,000 A   $325 Dings Auto Sales USA-CT(Litchfield) E-mail 860-567-5539 37

You could call and ask them about parts, 37 miles from Milford, CT.

If you go to electronic ignition. You have several styles to choose from.

If you use the 280Z models, you will need some extra hardware.

- The 77 280Z style uses the external TIU (Transistorized Ignition Unit). The TIU is located next to the passengers foot at the passengers kick panel in the cabin. You could mount that next to the coil or in the cabin. Cabin would be best location.

- The early 76 280Z havd a dual timing for cold and warm engine temperatures. You can use this model , but it requires an extra temperature sender to change timing. The alternative here would be to wire it using one pick-up from the distributor and don't use the temperature circuit.

- The 78 280Z. Same as the 77, but don't forget to take the TIU plug from the wiring harness and enough wire to solder your wiring to. This TIU uses a 6-pin connector plug, where the older units use a terminal block.

You should also grab the terminal block on the inner fender where the wires from the distributor connect.

- The 79 280ZX and later. There are some differences over the years, but they essentially work with the TIU built into the distributor. Its a neat compact design and you can still buy recon units from amason, advance auto & others. http://www.amazon.com/Cardone-31-619-Remanufactured-Import-Distributor/dp/B000C46L52/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Nissan%7C67&Model=280ZX%7C875&Year=1981%7C1981&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

Atlanticz has a good write up on rebuilding and swapping then into the early S30 models. You can read up on them here: http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributorrebuild/index.html

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html

I like the 280Z style because you have the freedom to play with the TIU. Its easy to fit a HEI module and if its in the cabin, its dry and cool. The ZX type is out in the elements and heat for 30 plus years which takes its toll. Not saying the 280Z TIU is better, just my preference.

The 123ignition is a nice system, but comes at a price. I have heard of problems with the distributor cap on some vehicles and one on this forum so the datsun variant has that issue too. Don't know if its a weakness or maybe a couple of faulty units?

• Like 1

Can you guys give me a run down of the major parts sources I should be keeping tabs on? There seem to be so many, and its hard to know which serve what purpose and how used they are.  Since I know what upgrades are likely to be in my future, its useful for me to get all these avenues on my radar so I can wait for parts to come to me in due time.

Examples might include:

Large online retail outlets (rockauto, etc)

Specially devoted datsun parts websites (Zstore, Datsunparts.com, etc)

Z forums with active classifieds sections  (doesn't seem like much of that is done on here?)

Datsun devoted classifieds websites

Parts finders for junkyards, other used auto parts?

Methods to search for local junkyards, pick and pulls, places with inventories of cars, etc.

I realize this might be a large thing to ask, but even if there was another resource I could consult it would be very helpful as I start to track down distributor parts, and consider other upgrades from later Z models.

Thanks all

Edited by DaveR

You be pleasantly surprised at the parts Nissan will have, you just have to get the part number yourself.  It usually takes one or two days to get the part too.  Here's the way I get them without installing the E Fast system Nissan uses, http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/engine-240z-260z

That's futofab.com, they have some great stuff with good pricing.

I google.com everything to start with, then go from there.

amazon.com has all kinds of parts with free shipping, I buy a lot from them.

Advance Auto parts is local but if you buy the part online and use a coupon code from retailmenot.com you'll get 30% off then go to the store and pick it up.

O'reillys has some 240 parts as well but no coupon code option.

zcardepot.com is fantastic, good parts at very reasonable prices.

ztherapy.com for carburetors help, for sure!

zcarsource.com

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/

The Z Store or MSA as we call it.

datsunparts has a bad reputation, 'Caveat Emptor'.

I'm forgetting a bunch I'm sure, but there's a start.  :) 

http://jdm-car-parts.com also seems to carry a lot of vintage parts. Pricey but if they have what you need they might be worth a try. I haven't used them myself yet though so I can't speak from experience. I've gotten most of my z parts from MSA and have been very happy with their customer service.

They are hit and miss. Sometimes you get a reply from them and sometimes not. Go MSA.

As nice as some of the stuff is, other stuff is incredibly seized up.  For instance the brake line going into my drivers side rear drum cylinder is very very stuck.  Bolt likes to round off with a crescent wrench (10mm) and i can't get a pair of vice grips in there to break it loose. I got the others free with the vice grips for the initial break, but its way too tight in there to get them in.

I've soaked the heck out of with penetrating fluid, I suppose an option left is to torch it a bit. Probably should wash all the fluid off it before doing that, or I assume I'll burst into flames. 

I looked in the FSM to see if i could take the cylinder off with that fitting/brake line still attached and work on it off the car... but I don't think I can get it out with the lever arm of the cylinder needing to be snaked through itself.

Just cut them off and replace. MSA stocks those lines. I replaced mine with the MSA ones.

Like yours mine were original from 1972 and need to be replaced for safety.

Dibs on the rear deck carpet, mine has faded from the sun apparently and has become a dull grey.  Carpet kits are around, but I can't find many that sell just that rear carpet. Everything else is mint.

In other new, going back to brakes for a moment. This is the master cylinder currently installed.

IMG_20151129_145520972.jpg

i have the original around still as well.  So the question becomes, is it easy enough to swap around the brake circuit to work with the one you see above (will have to clarify brand/make if needed) or should I rebuild the original one?  

The PO prior to selling it was attempting to get the brakes sorted out and I think the cylinder reversal was throwing them for a loop. I'm sure with your guys help I can easily figure out what I need to do, but if rebuilding the original is simple I could go that route easily as well.   I'm not requiring OEM for this system, just to have it functioning well without overspending and not having to butcher any more tubing/hose that I need to.

edit: Seems like I just need to make new hardlines that connect the circuit closest to the firewall on the master cylinder, to the port furthest from the firewall on the bit below, and vice versa.  Seems like its time to learn to bend some brake line!

Edited by DaveR