IGNORED

My New Z

bratliff

Here's the colors,http://www.zhome.com/History/ZColorGallary/

Great car.  Here's some very helpful information for FI 280s, http://atlanticz.ca/index.php/tech-tips.html 

Excellant! Thank you. I looked for the code where S30Driver said and found the sticker, but the only number that I could read was "0." Everything else had faded over the past 40 years. Looks like the color is 240 Racing Green. I'll definitely spend some time on that tech tips site, thank you.

Stupid question time though. I've searched this forum and that tech tips link and elsewhere but I haven't found an answer. What kind of oil should I use? My BMW is quite particular and only likes a certain brand and flavor. I doubt the Z is as picky but I'm sure the collective wisdom out there has settled on a "correct" answer to this question. I want to run to the auto parts store tonight and pick up filters and fluids so I can start bringing the beast back to life. :)

Thank you!

You obviously haven't been reading the zinc oil debate in the other active thread :D . I don't know that there is a consensus on the correct oil. I would also bleed all the brakes sufficiently to push all the old fluid out of the system.

C

You obviously haven't been reading the zinc oil debate in the other active thread :D . I don't know that there is a consensus on the correct oil. I would also bleed all the brakes sufficiently to push all the old fluid out of the system.

C

I didn't realize it referred to motor oil! I'll have to take a look. I did a quick Google and it looks like 10w30 high mileage type oil will be fine. I do plan on doing a full fluid flush and fill, which will include the brake fluid, diff, trans, etc. but I first want to get it running. 

Swung by AutoZone last night and picked up an oil filter, fuel filter and air filter, as well as five quarts of Valvoline 10w30 high mileage. Just chose this as it was fairly cheap and I want new oil in the engine while I wake her up. Is five quarts enough? I need to get an owners manual/Haynes manual for the Z. Any recommendations what/where to get one? I admit I haven't even looked yet.

Tonight I'll pull the battery and put it on a trickle charger (I think it's dead but, never hurts to try right?) and remove the spark plugs and put some atf in there. In the waking the beast thread, NGK BP6ES plugs are whats called out as replacements. Is this the correct plug for a '76 z?

Welcome. There are quite a few Z car owners in the ATL. Also if you're on Facebook, you should look up the Georgia Z Club and Georgia Datsun Owners. What part of town are you in? You can probably find some help to get her back on the road. 

Welcome. There are quite a few Z car owners in the ATL. Also if you're on Facebook, you should look up the Georgia Z Club and Georgia Datsun Owners. What part of town are you in? You can probably find some help to get her back on the road. 

I'm off of the Hugh Howell exit of Hwy78 just north of Stone Mountain.

The 5 quarts of your oil is enough, the NGK BP6ES plugs are likely perfect for your car.  Those are the non resistor version, so you should run resistor wires with them.  Many people like NGK's wire set for these cars if you need a new set.

You might also want to put a half a can of Seafoam in the fuel tank to dry up any moisture & clean the injectors.

Walmart has the best price - about $8.

The 5 quarts of your oil is enough, the NGK BP6ES plugs are likely perfect for your car.  Those are the non resistor version, so you should run resistor wires with them.  Many people like NGK's wire set for these cars if you need a new set.

You might also want to put a half a can of Seafoam in the fuel tank to dry up any moisture & clean the injectors.

Walmart has the best price - about $8.

Everything on the engine is stock. I plan on going through everything at some point and replacing/upgrading as required but right now, the goal is to get the car started and on the road. I'll pick up some seafoam tonight! Thanks for the tip.