IGNORED

L24 Rebuild -Again!

madkaw

I believe the Megasquirt can be set up for numerous "missing tooth" versions. Not sure if it is more accurate my way or with a hole every 90 degrees. The software knows it is 360 degrees, but not where to start-thus the missing tooth. Once the computer knows where 0 is, it can set timing of the spark where you input it on the software. It's a wasted spark set-up for me, another words it fires the spark every 360 degrees instead of 720.

Ignition set up is a steep learning curve-at least for me. They say its harder than setting up fuel, so I should have it easier there. The drilling of the flywheel is definitely the cheapest route. The sensor is 30$.   

• 2 weeks later...

Well to stop chasing my tail I put the dizzy and wires back on to take the MS out of the equation for any running issues. When I installed the Ole School ignition back on I made sure to do it in a way that was completely separate power sources from the MS set up and to make the swap fast and easy.

Happy to say that the engine is back and stronger than ever. Not hardly broke in but breaking the tires loose between gears for that lovely "chirping sound". Acceleration is very quick and pulls hard until I'm scared to Rev anymore:)

What's really nice is the jetting seems to be in a very good place for all aspects of driving. I'm not touch the carbs for a long while.

Trans shifts flawlessly up and down.

I can just drive it and enjoy it for a while.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Still pretty damn happy. Going to try and make it to the dyno before mother nature has other ideas.

Be beating on her pretty hard, but she comes back for more. The other day i tried retarding the cam timing(basically going straight up mark#1), and didn't like it. Going back to #3 advance. Gave up low end for no appreciable top end . I'd almost like to advance the timing some more, but now we are talking a whole tooth :-0 , and valves getting closer.

My trans went from a bad 3rd gear to a bad 2nd gear. I'm glad to have third gear fully operational since I can do everything in that gear. I know a lot of folks don't like the wide ratio, but it makes a great everything gear and I can get almost 100mph out of it. Current redline set at 7200rpm.

Did a valve adjustment yesterday and my Isky regrind looks pretty and polished.

NO LEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other day i tried retarding the cam timing(basically going straight up mark#1), and didn't like it. Going back to #3 advance. Gave up low end for no appreciable top end .

Hey Steve, I'm getting close to installing timing components and have to make a decision on what number I want to use.  I went straight to hole #3 when I rebuilt my 2.8 a few years ago and like it but thought about trying #2 on this 2.4, I don't really have a good reason to do this though, just trying something different.

Are you talking about hole #3 on the cam sprocket or do you have something fancier than stock that I don't know about?  Thank you for any advice. :)