IGNORED

'72 240Z Rebuild

siteunseen

The distributors come with marks to get static timing close, either two lines or a line and some numbers.  Then you can remove the cap to make sure the rotor is pointed the right direction, and the spark trigger (points opening or reluctor edge on magnetic pickup) are in the correct place.  Which distributor and ignition system are you using?

Thanks Zed Head!

I have a ZX distributor. I need to look more closely at the body. I know it has a #1 line on the cap. I'll take a better look and report back.

Everything's going back together very well. I need to run the 2.5 exhaust back to the rear then recheck everything. Then it's FIRE IN THE HOLE time. Maybe tomorrow morning?  wizz the neighbors off a little more. LOL

I think it was CO that noted that if the lines match the timing is on.  I assumed it would be at zero.  Either way, the lines are by the screw you loosen to adjust timing.  Scribed or molded in to the base and mount.  At least on the 240Z and 280Z.  Not 100% on the ZX but most likely there.  Line them up and you should be good, assuming, of course, that the oil pump shaft is right and all of that.

Another question while I'm recharging.

What should I do with the big hole on my air filter now? It used to go to a heat riser (that's what I've always heard) off the stock exhaust manifold. Now I have a header. Should I block it off and restrict the air flow or put some type of screening over it and let it breathe? 

Thanks.

Cliff,

I presume the hole your referring to is a short tube on the backside of the filter box, pointing down.  If so, that was previously for the air pump.  You don't want any open holes on the filter box other than the snorkel else you will be getting unfiltered air, dust, ...etc. pulled into the carbs.  I plugged that hole with a 7/8" rubber cover for a chair leg from a big box store.  I mounted the cover on a short piece of dowel, spun it in my drill and used sandpaper to change the shape down to a nice slim profile.  Its a perfect fit, no tacky hose clamp required.

Jim

Air Filter Plug.jpg

Thank you Mr Arnett, I have an ugly hose with a 3/8s to 1/4 adapter stuck in it.  That chair stopper will be much better. :)

Here's what I'm talking about though,

air filter.png

Here's what I think I can use if I need to.  I was thinking the more air the better so just put screen wire over the opening to keep the varmints out?

41%2BNrGCr0eL._SY355_.jpg

Ahhh - that hole, sorry to mis-read your post.  If you think about the OE configuration, that hole is always open so there should be no concern over air volume as the carbs will pull only what they need thru the filter.  I've also got a header and left mine open, but then I don't have a potential varmint issue. ;)  Great looking finish on that filter box!

• Like 1

That large round hole was originally connected to a hose that sucked warmed air off the exhaust manifold. I've always called it the "heat riser" connection. It's unfiltered at that point, so the only thing you have to worry about would be critters. However, if critters are looking for a warm spot to make a nest, they could simply crawl into the other oval hole at the end. Both those holes go to the same spot which is the dirty side of the air cleaner.

• Like 1