240260280z

Chinese Junk rant

In all industry and consumer measures, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and Mazda vehicles of 1991 were orders of magnitude better quality then the Saturn SL2. Your own personal standards were different, which worked out well for you. But over a larger sample size the Japanese cars of 1991 were designed and built to a much higher quality standard.

The only reason GM could sell the Saturn at a competitive price to the Japanese was the increasing value of the yen due to the Plaza Accord in 1985. That forced the price of Japanese cars up in relation to the dollar. If the yen to dollar relationship remained as it was in 1985 that 1991 Saturn SL2 would have been $1,650 more expensive then a comparable Accord or Sentra.

If you think the Chevies made in Detroit had problems, what if they made those in China!? LOL

The pushrod V6s in the small SUVs are made in their Shanghai plant. And they do have problems, do a little search on the internet, the 60degreeV6 people try to avoid those.

Mainland China factories can fake anything. Beware. It usually lasts only long enough for you to buy it and try once.

I learned about that with cell phones.  They 'clone' most of the better known phones but appearance is about the only thing they have in common with the real item. 

China can produce some good stuff... Just take a look at the back of your new phone, your suit, your shoes, and your toys. :) There's good and bad with everything.

Thank's for that side of the coin.  I'm about to get new bumpers for my 240 and they're CHEAP but look to be well made.  They're supposedly made in Taiwan.  

China, Taiwan.  Six for 1, half of a dozen for the other, kinda thing.

Taiwan and Mainland China are two different regions with respect to geography but more importantly with respect to cultural acceptance/apathy towards corruption and fake goods. Taiwan is very western and proactive where as mainland China is very communist and corrupt. Hong Kong is the last bastion of the western ways but is being swallowed.

• Like 1

There are online stores in mainland China that will sell you a 'clone' Samsung as well as other brand phone comlete with the logos on the phone, packaging, etc.  They do let you know up front that it's not the real thing plus they only cost a fraction of what the real phone costs.  I've often wondered how they can get away with that.

Change is happening!  I got interested in PCV valves, decided to check out prices, and picked up some inexpensive Autozone valves, one for my 76 280Z.  And surprise, surprise, they're made in USA.  $2.99, on the low side for parts store prices.  No idea on quality, it looks fine, but who can really tell if their PCV valve is in-tune.  I'm surprised that there are so many varieties, they have the same outer body, but different applications.  The internal spring rate is different, I assume.

We should start a Made in USA thread just to see what's out there.  

post-19298-0-26709800-1415846888_thumb.j