IGNORED

How Many Z Drivers Also Own BMWs?

BoldUlysses

For years I lusted to own a 330Ci. In 2006 I purchased one. Great car to drive, horrible car to own. It was in the shop every 3 or 4 weeks for failed sensors and other gremlins. After driving it for 50,000 miles I gladly sold it 2007 for an A4 Quattro, one of the most trouble free and uninspiring cars I've owned.

I have an Audi A6 also - great car - solid as a rock and great in the snow.

Mike, there is a staggered setup you can run. I have the staggered 162 wheels from a 330 that will be going on my 330xi.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/uploadedimages/wheels/162a.jpg

18x8 front 225/40-18

18x8.5 rear 255/35-18

0.23 % overall diameter difference which is well within the BMW spec. BMW sells Xi cars with this setup.

Read here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362505

I often toss around the idea of selling one of my Z cars, and replacing it with a Z4....

Edited by cygnusx1

I wanted a BMW in the past .

It was a teenager's bucket list thing I guess ! I looked into a Z8 , but it wasn't practical enough .

I will say though I am very happy with my Infiniti FX45 . Never gives me any issues . None .

I have to stick up for '' our '' Datsun inspired luxo barge . V8 power, all wheel drive , 20'' rims - big interior.

Never been much of a Bimmer fan.

I know some have reported having good luck with them, but literally everyone I know that has one has experienced poor reliability & high maintenance cost issues. But they all like the way they drive. In 2007, Design Engineering magazine had a picture of a 1997 Lexus ES 300 on the cover. Title of the article was: "Why does a 10 year old Lexus have better reliability than a brand new BMW"".

I also feel the same concern as Arne describes above when I drive & park my 240Z. I'm cognizant that some idiot could hit me and total my car, which takes a little of the enjoyment out of using it. But they are meant to be driven, and driving it on a curvy road puts a super-wide grin on my face!

In the early 70's in several race tracks the little brother of the Z,the marvel 510 prepared by BRE beat the BMW 2002 constantly and even today 40 yrs later in historical races with privateers, so when they call it the ''poor man's BMW'' I smile with joy..........;)

Edited by 72 OJ

I often toss around the idea of selling one of my Z cars, and replacing it with a Z4....

The rear profile of the car reminds me so much of a Z car, fellow z car buddy has one in Huntsville, and it looks spectacular

Z4 ///M Coupe

post-26759-14150818511016_thumb.jpg

powerful naturally aspirated inline 6 too!

Absolutely, the BMW's can't compare to the reliability of the Japanese jewelry cars, but, BMW manages to retain a "driver's car" feel, that makes the Z cars so appealing. If I purely wanted reliability and almost zero risk, financially and mechanically, I would not buy a BMW, but then again why would I own a Z?

Glad you like it. I personally don't care for Bangle's work at all. Too gimmick-laden for my taste. BMW's reached their modern-era peak with the E36 and pre-headlight-halo E39, all downhill since then.

I can't agree more, I was honestly disgusted by the direction BMW took afterwards with Bangle's stuff. I can appreciate a nice E46 M3 but would never own one, as it's a huge money pit, relatively speaking.

With that said, the E36 and prior generations are great. They really are driver's cars, and feel fantastic on the open road. BMW had the feel of every switch, button, latch and steering wheel down perfectly. It does seem like every single one develops electrical glitches, especially in the window switches, and the cooling systems always seemed to be lacking especially on the E36 and later cars. A friend of mine has an E36 M3 and another recently sold his E30 M3. What a car! Beautiful, nimble, and very advanced for it's time.

I was recently shopping for a new-to-me car and had it down to two, the E36 M Coupe or Honda S2000. The M Coupe is gorgeous (in my eyes), torquey and handles great, but I ultimately went with the S2000 mainly because of reliability/maintenance concerns. I have enough Z-cars to mess around with, I don't need my DD breaking down or needing excessive/expensive maintenance!

I feel that the S2000 is similar to the 240Z, lightweight, bulletproof drivetrain, long hood and seating position by the rear axle. Sorry for that tangent but I'm betting that quite a few Z owners have/had an S2000 as well! :D

No longer mine, but my ex has a 98 M Roadster... Amazing how similar it is in feel and attitude as the s130... (not heavy and bloated as many of you might think :stupid: ) Here in the twisties of WNC, having a car that corners is a wonderful thing, and they both felt "right." Yes, the M has much more power (stupid fast) and would skunk the ZX on the straightaways-not so much on the curves. I told her that were she to wreck it beyond the point of repair, that I'd gut it for the engine/drivetrain (and as much of the interior as I could) to transplant...

post-11908-14150818512019_thumb.jpg

post-11908-14150818512288_thumb.jpg

WE bought my wyfe a I128 convertible 2008. It rides Nicely. I personnaly drive a MINI witch are made by BMW but i will never have

another MINI not enought choice for maintenance an the nerest dealer canot do the job good in one visit not that there were many

visits but all of them where a catastrophy. They heaven deliver me the car with a very noisy sunroof. Bad way to start a relation

with a dealer.

Some sweet E34's in here :) I don't have a Z and sold my 510 but here is my 92 E34 525 with turbo M52/S52 cams, 5 speed and 6 piston wilwoods. BTW, I am also five&dime on bf.c

Just made 350 RWHP and 344 ft lbs of torque at 15 lbs running low 10's on the AFR. New tune will be here this week. Hoping for 375+ at the wheels. Faster than an E39 M5. From the dyno comparison b/t my car and a 2010 M6, I am making more torque across the board and more power until the M6 hits 6k RPM :)

IMO, BMW's do not suffer from poor reliability but the owners failure to do regular maintenance. A BMW is not a car you just drive until the wheels fall off like the old Datsuns/Nissans. The cooling systems seem to be the weakest link. I think the rule of thumb for a non M BMW is about $1k-1500 per year and for an M, it jumps to about $2500-3k (lots of variables of course). In regards to poor leather quality, they make several different grades.. I also personally think the 2002-2003 E39 M5 is the best car BMW ever made. Although I do love the new F10 BMW's. The E60's are starting to grow on me as well. Never cared much for the 3 series but I do like the E30 and E36 best. It does suck that the E36 M3 (US spec) is the only M car that didn't come with ITB's.

And yes I know my rears need spacers. The front ACS wheels are real and the rears are reps. I plan on getting real 9.5" rears to replace the reps one of these days.

5794934701_343ddd26b4_b.jpg

5741848956_638003bbf7_b.jpg

6897197404_016f52f8e0_b.jpg

5507183557_70f1053a94_b.jpg

Edited by five&dime