IGNORED

Camshaft Oil Spray Bar Redesign and Rebuild

look at this one I pulled off a 1976 fairlady Z.

That's cool. Wasn't well-known to me that they changed it. That design is definitely better than the original. Not easy to clean out and still has the same stress/strain issues as the first design, but if it can handle it without failure, then no prob.

They couldn't have offered that version for long... I've done bars for as late as 75, and in 77 they went to internally oiled? Maybe that was a 76 only thing?

A crude measurement using drill index shows .078 holes on the cam lobes of internally oiled cam.

Yeah, interesting that the hole diameters are different. I have never messed with it, but I've heard there is a flow restrictor in the oil passage leading up from the block into the head. The prevalent theory being that you could completely open flow the oil in the head (like dumping all your oil out of a cracked spray bar) and you would still have enough pressure at the crank that you wouldn't waste your mains. You would ruin the upper end, but the crank should survive.

If that's the case, then maybe they opened the holes in the cam so it wouldn't shoot so far? When it's not leaking all over the place, those spray bars really spray. Like... Multiple inches of spray.

With the holes in the lobes, you only have to hit the follower. Anything sprayed on the underside of the valve cover really doesn't do you any good. Just thinking out loud...?

Hey Captain, great idea and love the quality in the work. I have 2 71's that I would be interested using your upgrade on. Once you work out a price could you inform me of it. Would you need my oil lines sent to you?

All of the bars I've refurbished started with the original tubes. I've not made replacement tubes to date. Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier to remake the tubes from scratch as well, but so far, I haven't done that.

I'll dig out my notes tomorrow in the shop...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Guys I am so sorry for reviving a dead thread but I am Highly interested in either or; a billet spray bar/redesigned spray bar. I've tried to contact Hassle/Cox, that number has changed. I've pm'd the captain, but no reply yet. Any leads would be helpful.

TIA,

JOEL

As seen on HybridZ:

Larry Hassler and Chris Cox ( 626-485-1556 ) are selling billet aluminum spray bars. Unknown price, and I have not seen one in person. Just passing on info.

Phred

correct this number here is no longer any good to contact for a spray bar. DEAD END.

Look at Post #34 in this thread, it might be a new number. It looks like you'll have to call the number though, not use the email address.

Spray bar MIA - Page 3 - Nissan L6 Forum - HybridZ

Spray bar MIA - Page 2 - Nissan L6 Forum - HybridZ Thank You! I Will call in the morning. SWEET SUCCESS HERE!

Edited by Nite_Grind

This is slightly off topic but even thou the major belief is that all the oil spray bars are identical through out the years, look at this one I pulled off a 1976 fairlady Z. It had an e88 head thou and I don't believe that was stock on the L20.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62455[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62456[/ATTACH]

It seems to be a stamped block design rather than a cast, not sure on how well this works but there is no wiggle in any of the tubes.

That's the one my late '76 build date but titled a '77 with an oiler cam plus spray bar N47 has. It has paper thin gaskets too.

Edited by siteunseen