IGNORED

Butterscotch dye or paint?

smajr85

Solution 1: If you have an un-faded area, a body shop can match the paint. Cost will vary w/ body shop.

Solution 2: ColorBond will custom mix vinyl spray paint, but it's expensive.

Solution 3: Les Cannady will make custom color replacement panels, but it's even more expensive.

Solution 4: SEM and Colorbond sell similar, but not exact color match paint in spray cans.

Contact Les at Classic Datsun. I ordered some of the factory correct butterscotch spray about a month ago. He still had several more around. I think it was about 25-30 dollars a can and it would take a couple of cans to do all the panels. Its expensive but he said that is what they were charged. I would probably try calling him over email. He is pretty busy and it took several times of bugging him before I was able to get mine. Great stuff though.

Carl

Hello,

I was in the same boat as you, I had a bunch of butterscotch plastic parts which needed painting. I went to a local paint store and had them mix me up a pint of some custom butterscotch paint from which they make spray cans. The original pint cost $30.00. So far I have gotten 4 or so cans from the original pint and I still have alot left. Here are the results;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250936769068?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Only the front faces have been painted, compare the color between the front and back and I would say it's a pretty spot on match.

I need to do the same for some maroon panels as everything I am finding premade in cans has too much blue in it.

Good luck,

Daniel P.

Only the front faces have been painted, compare the color between the front and back and I would say it's a pretty spot on match.

Seems like the SEM paints would need more red to match your paint, so SEM is way off.

post-14083-14150817003408_thumb.png

If I'm reading this right, left you painted, right is a 40 year old original. Wow that is an amazing match! The marketing photos from the 70's always look lighter. My original parts look about like what you have. Wouldn't mind them being lighter, freaky 70's colors. :ermm:

Some examples, first is from bringatrailer.com and the others are from zclub.net showing a car getting redone. I think in general the vinyl gets lighter and the plastic gets darker? What is really interesting is the door panel and seat middle sections are different vinyl with coarse texture which fades differently. You can go crazy with this stuff. Some say that has already happened LOL

post-14083-14150817004244_thumb.jpg

post-14083-14150817003742_thumb.jpg

post-14083-14150817003959_thumb.jpg

Edited by GreenZZZ

Seems like the SEM paints would need more red to match your paint, so SEM is way off.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49510[/ATTACH]

If I'm reading this right, left you painted, right is a 40 year old original. Wow that is an amazing match! The marketing photos from the 70's always look lighter. My original parts look about like what you have. Wouldn't mind them being lighter, freaky 70's colors. :ermm:

Some examples, first is from bringatrailer.com and the others are from zclub.net showing a car getting redone. I think in general the vinyl gets lighter and the plastic gets darker? What is really interesting is the door panel and seat middle sections are different vinyl with coarse texture which fades differently. You can go crazy with this stuff. Some say that has already happened LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49513[/ATTACH]

Sorry, you're reading it wrong, the FRONT faces in that picture are both painted and the REARS of the panels (in the picture below where you found that one on eBAY) are not.

And just a note to try to keep you guys sane, unless your monitor driver and monitor have been color-calibrated with some of the expensive photograph hobby software out there, there's a good probability that the colors you're comparing to each other are WAY OFF what the ACTUAL color is. (This presumes of course, that you're using a HIGH end camera with color-calibrated RAW image handling to take the original pictures.)

Otherwise the eye on site trumps any picture comparison on the computer.

E

And just a note to try to keep you guys sane, unless your monitor driver and monitor have been color-calibrated with some of the expensive photograph hobby software out there, there's a good probability that the colors you're comparing to each other are WAY OFF what the ACTUAL color is. (This presumes of course, that you're using a HIGH end camera with color-calibrated RAW image handling to take the original pictures.)

E

To prove your point in detail... Here is Mally002's old car (he's now in a white/blue Z) First picture is likely from Mally002's camera in sunlight, 2nd is from seller of it on ebay, probably with a flash indoors. Same car...

post-14083-14150817004473_thumb.jpg

post-14083-14150817005007_thumb.png

E

That's true which is why I have two pictures, one of the front of the panels (painted) and the other of the rear of the panels (unpainted OEM colored plastic) in the eBAY ad shot with the same camera (shutter speed etc.) and light conditions as they were taken seconds apart.

So as conditions were matched as best as possible between the two pictures, color matching will be relatively easy to discern between the two pictures and not a third hand opinion of what the correct color is .

None of the customers I have sold butterscotch painted panels to have returned a negative comment about non- matching paint either.

Edited by dhp123166

When I refurbished the green Z I used the products and paint from Les. The paint as mentioned earlier was like 25 bucks a can. It matched everything very well and appeared to be the closest to original. Here's a few more pictures, however as E stated earlier your monitor and camera images will vary... (as shown below).

Good luck with your interior.

post-13312-1415081700817_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150817008767_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150817009006_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150817009589_thumb.jpg