IGNORED

New engine

Diseazd

Thanks Leon....that would make sense....was it a turbo in it's former life Jeff?

Nope, not a turbo. The engine was pulled by a friend of mine from a running car. The engine had never been apart and it had flat top pistons and a close ratio 5 speed trans.

Nope, not a turbo. The engine was pulled by a friend of mine from a running car. The engine had never been apart and it had flat top pistons and a close ratio 5 speed trans.

I'm not well-versed in ZX differences but seems like the sumps changed at some point, later in the model run.

Crikies mate.....just checked.....all 3 F54's have the oil pans as Jeff described. I didn't even pick that up. Not sure now, if the L24 pan will fit with the oil pick up from the F54 or not. There is no clearance issues whatsoever in the 240Z's, and I don't know why there would be any on the S130's either. When my block comes home from the machine shop, I'll try a 240Z pan with the F54 pick up......see if they inter change.

Edited by Diseazd

Guy, I'm sure the pick-ups have to be matched to the pans. That's how we figured it out. I didn't check the ZX pickup on a Z pan, but I'm sure the Z pickup will not work in the ZX pan.

I guess the other thing I need to check is if the dipsticks are the same length between the two pans. :paranoid:

I found one post on zcar.com that said the 79 - 83 used the rear sump pan and another post that said either type can be used in a S30, but the center sump pan won't fit in a ZX due to the different crossmember.

At least now, I don't feel as uninformed about the pan change. I thought maybe I was the only one out in the dark. :cool:

Edited by Jeff G 78

No Jeff....you're not alone....I operate in the dark often.....thanks for clearing this up. I assume that all ZX's use the rear sump pan.....for clearance issues. I've never owned one, so don't know anything about their crossmembers. Guy