IGNORED

New engine

Diseazd

I'm building a new engine. I'll use the L28 N42 block bored .040 over with an L24 crank and rods, L28 P79 flat-top pistons and a high quench P79 head shaved and shimmed .080 inches (should be 9.2 to 1 C/R). What this will be is a very over-bored L24 because I really like the higher revving L24's and bigger is always better.....right? Anyone build this motor before or heard of anyone else building it? I'll update as I build on.

post-14126-14150815115427_thumb.jpg

Guy -

You've gotta try some triples on one of your engine - it is a total surprise on how much more power and torque you can generate out of a solid rebuilt engine. My power band is 2000-5500 rpm and it is F'n fantastic!! Todd at Wolf Creek really does a great job on his Mikuni's!

Hi Guy,

Sounds like a great combo of parts there buddy. Should be a very nice revver. Please don't put a stock damper and flywheel on the beast will you?

The L24 revs well because of the rod to stroke ratio as you're aware. I've just screwed together my new L28 and thought long and hard about those sorts of details so that's why I had custom rods built to suit my JE forged 300ZXTT pistons. Now I have an L28 with a 1.72 rod to stroke ratio (and a bit closer to your much better 1.8 than the original L28's 1.64).

All the best mate. Let us know how it all progresses. :classic:

Cheers.

Ps I have an L20A crank and spare N42 block and......:bulb:

Edited by ozconnection

Guy -

You've gotta try some triples on one of your engine - it is a total surprise on how much more power and torque you can generate out of a solid rebuilt engine. My power band is 2000-5500 rpm and it is F'n fantastic!! Todd at Wolf Creek really does a great job on his Mikuni's!

Mitchell... I have been barking up that tree for years now!!! I don't know how to get him to just give in and get some triple mikuni's etc... The 510 was awesome with them. Would have been a total bore with SU's. Maybe if you all chime in it will help convince him. I mean 4 z's with SU's is too much. We need something different in at least one of them! Afterall, I did convince him not to paint the safari gold car silver. And I convinced him to go 16" panasports on all instead of 15".

Let's get a petition going. Triple carbs FTW!!!!

OZ......You know I'm building this motor because of our conversation last year! The P79 head shaved and shimmed gives a ratio of 9.2 to 1 while the E31 gives you 9.7 to 1. I have both heads available, but decided on the P79 for the better burn and flow. Do you agree? This engine ought to be a sweet driver.......we'll see. Guy

Brandon -

He rolled right over my post........it didn't even phase him! He may be a little overfocused on this rebuild - but, if he drove a triple Mikuni it would bring him right into the drivers seat in a hurry - he wouldn't know what to do with all that torque and power from a little straight line 6 - SU's are fine but nothing like triple Mikuni's!! You guys need to get out of that Richmond heat and drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway (or should I say up / elevation 3500 ft) and come and drive my Z - I promise you it will put a smile on your pops face!!

There is no better feeling than to pull a mountain with twisty's with my L28!

Open invitation Guy - what do you have to loose other than the heat of Richmond!!

Mitchell.......I didn't mean to pass over your post.....I just love the simplicity of my SU's. Besides that.....come to Richmond and drive mine......you might be surprised at the power and torque my 3 L28's make and the two L24's to boot. Each to his own....I love my motors ......don't be too sure you're making more power than mine! Guy