IGNORED

Cricket, Cricket, Cricket

jay1161970

What kind of "respect" are you looking for? The 280ZX was derivative in styling. Other than the 10th Anniversary & ZXR editions, there isn't much interest from collectors. Many (or most, I'm not sure) came with the 85 MPH speedometer, undercutting the image of a sports car.

As for this board, I'm not sure what you're expecting. ClassicZCars started out as pretty much 240Z only, allowing 260Zs primarily due to those cars having carburetors. It was eventually expanded to cover 280Zs. The 280ZX section came later for the S130 types who wandered by.

Many in the Z community tend to view the 280ZX and Z31 300ZX more as commodity cars, whether or not it's deserved. They weren't the first, and both were surpassed performance-wise. They are the "middle children" of the Z community.

I wouldn't look to give up one of my S30s for a S130, even a turbo. I just don't believe I would be gaining much in the swap.

Steve

The S30's are sports cars in the purest sense. The S130's were luxury-oriented "sporty" cars. When new they were viewed as softly sprung, overweight and over priced. It was the sports car that Buick never made.

Heck, I barley recognize the S30's with the big bumpers as being S30's. But with proper attention they too can be made more 240-ish.

I can tell you one thing that ZX's are great at. Find yourself an auto trans ZX. Put it in reverse, stand on the brake and hit the gas, then put it back in D and hit the gas (still standing on brake). Do this back and forth as many times as you like to amuse your friends as the arse end of the car rises and falls 10". It's like free hydraulics.

I can tell you one thing that ZX's are great at. Find yourself an auto trans ZX. Put it in reverse, stand on the brake and hit the gas, then put it back in D and hit the gas (still standing on brake). Do this back and forth as many times as you like to amuse your friends as the arse end of the car rises and falls 10". It's like free hydraulics.

My 86 did that! I didn't even need to press the gas, it did it on it's own when I shifted! Gooooood times. ROFL Yeah, that car got towed and I just let them take it. It was nice to drift around a corner, though (bald tires).

i believe the s130 has "potential" as a track/ street racer with the right mods it isnt too bad :> (i personally think the car looks a tad ugly and has to much luxury things and i own one due to the fact if i loose the car into a corner and write it off i wont really shed a tear so i can push it harder than if i was racing my 240k)

Notice the S130 gets no respect.

Yep, the S130 is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Z car world. I personally think that they are under-rated by most people.

But in the interest of full disclosure, I bought a new "sporty" car in 1982, and it wasn't a 280ZX, because at the time I thought they were over priced and under powered. (Unless you went for the Turbo, which was way out of my price range.)

But in the interest of full disclosure, I bought a new "sporty" car in 1982, and it wasn't a 280ZX, because at the time I thought they were over priced and under powered. (Unless you went for the Turbo, which was way out of my price range.)
Interesting. IMO, the S30 and S130 have very different characters. They really did not target the same market segment with the S130.

I was looking for a new car in late 1977, and considered (and test drove) a new 280Z 5 speed. Liked it, but did not buy it, decided to save for a down payment on a house instead.

But in 1981, after being in the house for a couple years, I was again in the market for a new car. Didn't even think about a ZX, as the newer car just wasn't at all the type of thing I was interested it. Ended up buying a Scirocco S instead, the last of the first gen Sciroccos. Must have been the right call, as we kept it for 10 years and only sold it then because our son was getting too big for the back seat.

I tend to prefer light, small and nimble over comfort and luxury. I have never thought of the S130 as any of the first three. Perhaps that's a bit unfair, but that's how I perceive them.