IGNORED

Installing an Electric Fan...

Darbji280z

Regarding the use of an electric fan vs stock.....the main reason I went with an electric fan was to free up a bit of horse power robbed by the stock unit! Same reasoning for an electric fuel pump vs stock fuel pump! Not much to be gained but, a little is better than none!!!

Tom

I never considered the fuel pump. I did notice how much faster the car moves now. It just seems to respond quicker. However, I did discover that the butterfly in the throttle isn't opening all the way. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the throttle linkage so that she can breathe better?

I never considered the fuel pump.

... and you don't have to. It only applies to the non-EFI cars. We have electric fuel pumps standard.

I did discover that the butterfly in the throttle isn't opening all the way. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the throttle linkage so that she can breathe better?

Well... the obvious thing to check is if there's anything in the way. I had to deal with wires for the various things plugged into the thermostat 'loitering' in this region of my Z's engine.

Can you push the gas pedal all the way down? i.e. make contact with the floor? Maybe the spring is too tight, who knows?

I'll shoot some close-ups of my linkage and send them to you, maybe that will help. :):love:

... and you don't have to. It only applies to the non-EFI cars. We have electric fuel pumps standard.

I meant in general when I think about quick ways to gain horsepower as opposed to applying it to my Z.

I noticed there is almost 1/4 inch of play from one section of the linkage to another. I think there was supposed be bushings in between them. My throttle response was always delayed.

...and that sucks.

(Matt :love:)

• 11 years later...
42 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

Will this solution help the car on heavy stop and go traffics under extreme hot days? Please read paragragh written by 240z designer regarding vapor lock on su carbs.

Can't hurt.  Moving more air through the engine compartment is good on a hot day.  Many of us have thermostat controlled electric fans on our Zs with AC.  Haven't we had this discussion previously?

Dennis 

My '71 is working nicely with the original alternator, although others have mentioned upgrading when they added fans.  Keep in mind that the article you posted above mentions that the Sirocco fan was NOT a perfect fix and the problem was not perfectly resolved until Nissan stopped using carbs and moved to fuel injection.  So, like so many automotive upgrades, pay your money and take your chances.  Based on what you've posted over the  years, I have a sense that your Z will be a long term ongoing trial and error project.  So, give it a try.

Dennis

7 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I've read many post of problems with hot restarts for EFI.  People getting stranded at the gas pumps.

Have you tried the all rubber fuel rail Jeff G 78 suggested a long time ago? 

That didnt work. Still failing. Havent got into traffic lately.