IGNORED

Installing an Electric Fan...

Darbji280z

I am replacing the broken fan clutch on my Z to a 14" electric fan. I haven't even broken into the project yet, but I just wanted to know, any tips? You know, little things that might make my life easier? Hints, tricks? Anything I should know?

Thanks for your help.

Darbji, the only suggestion I would have would be to remove the radiator before you deal with the fan and fan clutch. It will give you so much more space. Also, hit all the bolts with PB Blaster a couple days before (especially the Alternator mounts) to ease the whole process.

Obviously, it would make sense to mount the electric fan onto the Rad. before you reinstall it, but since I have not done this, I may be wrong.

Measure the distance between the radiator and the pulleys on the engine, you will find you need a very thin fan, given the choice, rebuild the fan clutch-it is pretty easy, cheep, and being a factory part, no fitting, electrical modification, or piddling about is required...

I used dual electric fans because nearly every single electric fan I found was too deep. The fans that I used are "Imperial" brand, but many others would work (perhaps better) I was trying to get maximum coverage of the radiator. The best I could get was one 10" fan and one 12" fan.

A single 14" fan only draws air through 47% of the surface area of the radiator on a 240Z. My solution, with two fans draws air through about 58%. With a fan shroud (Which the 240Z lacked but the 280Z has) the engine fan could in theory draw air through nearly 100% of the radiator.

To use electric fans you would need:

1 or 2 Fans(s) depending upon your preference.

1 relay (30 amps preferably because fans draw a lot of power)

1 temperature switch

1 in-line fuse (20A at least depending upon the draw of the fan(s))

At least with the higher output alternator of the 280Z you might not have to upgrade the electrical system as much to power it.

Or the other option... rebuild the fan clutch.

I just finished installing my electric fan several weeks ago, you will find that it is easier than you think. Like it was said earlier remove your old fan to make room for the electric and mount it more to the left side....(as viewed behind the steering wheel) It is a tight fit, but it will work.

Mine is attached with pull ties that go through the radiator fins, it holds the fan very well.

Once it's attached just make sure you wire it for puller mode. You will need some type of breaker that you can buy at any auto store for around 6-10 dollars. Mount your t-stat, connect your wires, and run it to the battery....

Here's a few pictures of mine if it helps........Good luck,

Randy

PS....Yes, I know I need to detail my engine bay........

post-13312-14150801052665_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150801077654_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150801077998_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150801078177_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150801078351_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150801078507_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150801078683_thumb.jpg

As long as we are showing pictures

I wanna play too:

fan.jpg

I went with a radiator setup similar to the V8 conversion ones with some help from:

http://240z.jeromio.com/camaroradiator.html

that allowed for more clearance for the fan.

I had just recently bought a new controller for the fan:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FLX%2D33054&N=700+0&autoview=sku

It is supposed to turn the fan on at half power when it first starts heating up and then go to full power if it keeps getting warmer.

I hadn't had a chance to install it yet when I bought a replacement Z. I think I may stick with a stock fan and radiator setup on the 'new to me' Z though.

I had put the temperature pickup for it at the bottom passenger side of the radiator. The instructions say to put it on the drivers side closer to the top so it can sense when the water gets hot sooner. That is probably a better idea rather than wait till too hot of water is heading back into the engine.

Yep, not that hard of a job.... even I could do it. Do your measurements very well; as stated in earlier posts, a left side mount will give you the room that you need because the fan pulley tends to force an off-center orientation. Fan depth is important, as is the amperage. Think through the power requirements well & how you will safely supply it. I'm certain you are familiar with the differences in amperage requirements among all of the fans that are out there. A relay is worth a consideration - I recommend it along with the fuse. I ended up with an Imperial 16" (same as Hayden now I think) because the depth and amps suited my needs best. The dual fan solution is kick-arse especially if you consider separate circuits so that one or two can be run at a time to meet your needs as they change. All that being said, on my '72, I am about ready to begin going back from where it all began by re-installing a clutch fan.... and adding a Zirgo 10" pusher as a supplement for when conditions may require it. This will be coupled up with a recored original radiator (only reused the top & bottom brass - looks stock original but with a good modern technology tight-finned core), a stock fan shroud, belly pan (both of which surprisingly took a long time to find at a reasonable price - took the junkyard route - they are way to expensive on the open market like eBay), and a new water pump while I'm in there. I like to believe that the stock radiator shroud, splash pan, and fan w/clutch bring the best air flow for coolant and engine compartment cooling, and bring me a step closer to 'the way it was and I want it to be'. The 10" Zirgo pusher is my ace in the hole for hot days when romping or stuck in traffic, and hardly noticeable up front & out of the way.

Please let us know what you do and how it works! I'm always interested in Z-car cooling solutions!

The one I would say to do is find a bracket for the fan to bolt to and not to use the "pull thru" zip ties, As they can put stress on the cooling tubes and could cause leaks.

I read about the problem in some hotrod rod mag and a buddy had this happen to him.

Eric