IGNORED

1970 Engine?

Hi Carl

Some more data for the above "recap".

L24-5757 E31 #0327B 4/70 HLS30-02725

From your thread it appears that the only casting number that is close or similar is .... " L24-05778 E31 0320A 04/70 bas".

Where is "abas" located?

Looks like Kats opened up an old thread that hasn't seen any activity in over 5 years. However, it's certainly great to see all the new informative activity!

Over 2 years ago, Darrel referred me to a local guy that was restoring his '70 240Z and was looking for an L24. I ended up selling him the engine that was the original subject of this thread.

As noted multiple times in this thread, it was definitely an oddball engine

(L24-60039 E31 9X04D) that had all the characteristics of an early L24 engine except for the high serial number. After looking at the engines that Carl listed in Post #60 and doing a comparison to the other engines, it couldn't be more clear that my old engine was an early engine that was stamped or mis-stamped with a later serial number.

Hello Steve,

I am now very positive that your engine block is truly 1969 made

with assembled in some 1971 ,L24-060039 is a real serial for that engine.

There is a long long time gap between 1969(Nov) casting and

1971 assembling.But I think it could be,like Carl told us about

in a environment at the factory.(Thank you Carl recap)

The casting is first, then assembling.It could be happened to Steve's engine.

1969 casting block has 1971 serial number .It could be.

But vice versa never ever happen.I think.

kats

Edited by kats
spelling

The castig is first, then assembling.

Yes Kats, casting is first, but second comes machining. Some engine blocks could end up being machined and quality-control passed a fair time after they were originally cast, and they would not be stamped with their unique serial number until after this had all been finished.

Such a scenario is also the explanation for the seemingly 'early' casting dates on the S20 engine blocks seen in the first 432s and 432Rs. Nissan started casting S20 engine blocks for the PGC10 Skyline GT-R, knew that they needed some for the planned 432s and 432Rs, and simply cast them at the same time. They would not receive their stamped serial numbers until they had been machined and/or assembled.

432 / 432R-specific S20 engines were of course different to GT-R-specific S20 engines in that they were machined differently. This because of their differing sump / oil pump pickup / dipstick layouts. Once they had been machined, they were either GT-R or 432 / 432R specific, and could not be confused.

Alan T.

Thank you Alan,

I did not think about machining, it comes before assembling, that is right.

A specific number is needed to identify each one during assembling such as engine, body.

So, serial number must be stamped before the assembling.

For the engine,after machining , the block got the serial number, it makes sense.

Can we extend this way of thinking to body serial number? When a car (body) got a serial number?After welding?or painting? or ... People who are interested in this(including me) should go to proper thread.

Thanks Alan, the scenario of S20 for Z432/432R , I agree with it very much.

kats

Steve,

You sold L24-060039 / 9X04D, I hope the man who got the engine from you will be informed about this thread in some day.:)

Originally, we were confused why 060039 got E31 on the block, and I am

sorry I was very suspectable about your engine.I said it should be P30 here 6 years ago.

How about this, at Yokohama engine factory in mid or late 1971, a NOS machined block but did not have a serial number was found in their warehouse,they simply put on the assembly line... Just my thought.

Just for an example, PS30-00347(12/1970) got S20-000074.Normally this low serial S20 to be installed Feb or Mar 1969 Skyline GTR.

kats

Having worked in a small family owned ductile / cast iron foundry in my youth, all answers are spot on.

The raised numbers are part of the pattern used to make the sand mold, that iron is poured into. The numbers can be changed at any time on the pattern, each time a mold is made, daily, monthly, line, employee, batch etc. The second photo of Katz shows the square pads with number on which were changes on this partictular pattern. There were several parts we made that had number changes from each run ordered.

The stamped number can be added at any time from casting to customer. We had one part we had to date stamp on a 'non machined' surface while still hot.

Our engine number stamp could of happened about anytime, after machining, after assembly, after first fire-up, maybe someone knows.

Bonzi Lon

As noted multiple times in this thread, it was definitely an oddball engine

(L24-60039 E31 9X04D) that had all the characteristics of an early L24 engine except for the high serial number. After looking at the engines that Carl listed in Post #60 and doing a comparison to the other engines, it couldn't be more clear that my old engine was an early engine that was stamped or mis-stamped with a later serial number.

Would it be possible to get a picture of that engine serial number? The font on the dies used to stamp it might give us a clue.

New replacement blocks from Nissan - came into the Parts Department at the local Dealerships with no serial number - -- Quite possible the Dealership stamped the original engine serial number that was in the car, on the replacement... If that happened, the font on the dies used will most likely not perfectly match the factory dies.

FWIW,

Carl B.