IGNORED

1970 Engine?

This is my first thread to Classic Z-Cars, and I am excited to join all of you other Z-Car enthusiats! My son and I have 2 classic Z-Cars: a 1972 240 and a 1971 240. I use to have a '72 240Z when I was in college over 20 years ago and loved it! My 17 year old son and I just recently purchsed both of these cars and are currently restoring the '72 and once we complete it, we will start on the '71.

I have a question: When we purchased the '71 last week, the seller also included 4 crates of misc Z parts including a spare engine, 4-speed tranny, dash (no cracks!), console (no cracks either!). He was told that the engine was from a 1970 240Z. I would like to verify this.

Here's a description: I has the "Nissan 2400 OHC" valve cover, which is different from our '71 and '72 valve covers. It has the Hitachi SU carbs (like our '71 & '72). The ID plates on the engine block show "L24" and the number is "060039" does anyone know if this is from a '70 or is this just a later L24 block with the earlier valve cover?

lonetreesteve

Welcome to the club:classic:

Hope we'll see more of you here as you progress with the restorations.

From my (incomplete) knowledge I would say that an engine from a car made up to the end of 1970 should have a serial number up to about L24-024000. So L24 060039 is from a later car. I would guess around sept or Oct 1971

hope it helps

Originally posted by lonetreesteve

This is my first thread to Classic Z-Cars, and I am excited to join all of you other Z-Car enthusiats! My son and I have 2 classic Z-Cars: a 1972 240 and a 1971 240. I use to have a '72 240Z when I was in college over 20 years ago and loved it! My 17 year old son and I just recently purchsed both of these cars and are currently restoring the '72 and once we complete it, we will start on the '71.

I have a question: When we purchased the '71 last week, the seller also included 4 crates of misc Z parts including a spare engine, 4-speed tranny, dash (no cracks!), console (no cracks either!). He was told that the engine was from a 1970 240Z. I would like to verify this.

Here's a description: I has the "Nissan 2400 OHC" valve cover, which is different from our '71 and '72 valve covers. It has the Hitachi SU carbs (like our '71 & '72). The ID plates on the engine block show "L24" and the number is "060039" does anyone know if this is from a '70 or is this just a later L24 block with the earlier valve cover?

I think I know the car you're talking about, I saw it for sale and considered it but too far to drive and I have my hands full already. If it's the one I'm thinking of I believe you got a great deal on it.

Wecome to the club and we'll be talking with you as your project progresses. :classic:

Thanks for your help on this guys!

2-4-T-Z-Man,

My son and I checked the place on the block where you said to look and it does indeed show E31 !!! The head shows E31 as well. Also, I understand that the 'Nissan 2400 OHC" on the top of the valve cover is very rare and only appeared on the 1970 240Zs and only the first 7,000 (approx) made.

I am still a little confused about the engine number. With the #060039, what does that indicate? From what you have brought to my attention, it doesn't appear that this the # sixty-thousand and thirty-nine and made in 1972 like Abas mentioned (which seemed very likely). Do you know what it means?

TexasZ,

Yes, if you were referring to the Z in Colorado, that is the one! Yes, my son and I got a great deal!

Lonetreesteve,

Congratulations on having a 1970!

Sorry I really don't know the meaning of the number cut in the block, other than maybe meaning that your engine was the 60039th L24 made. ?????? Seems like a high number for that to be the answer though.

I'm sure someone in this club knows the answer and as soon as they see this thread then we'll all know.

Originally posted by lonetreesteve I am still a little confused about the engine number. With the #060039, what does that indicate? From what you have brought to my attention, it doesn't appear that this the # sixty-thousand and thirty-nine and made in 1972 like Abas mentioned (which seemed very likely). Do you know what it means?

Amazing what you learn on this board. When 2-4-T-Z-Man started talking about a number on the block on the drivers side, I thought he was off-the-wall, but I just went out and looked at my block and there it is! E31 on the block, with a raised 9901F beside it. The actual block number is on the raised pads on the passenger side rear of the block (see pic attached - mine is block 2465). The 9901F must be some kind of casting run number or something. I've never seen it before. I have an engine out of a 1978 280Z sitting in my garage, and it says N42, and has a raised number that I can't read (position is bad, and I can't raise the block off the floor right now). It looks like 5 or 6 digits. So, I know it isn't the block number (i.e., not the XXXXXth block made), but I don't know what it is...

post-4028-14150793909976_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by lonetreesteve

I am still a little confused about the engine number. With the #060039, what does that indicate? From what you have brought to my attention, it doesn't appear that this the # sixty-thousand and thirty-nine and made in 1972 like Abas mentioned (which seemed very likely). Do you know what it means?

This means that it was the 60039th L24 engine block produced. When you take into consideration that the L24 was also used in other datsun models at the time.

I dont believe that the numbers specific to the car, but to the block ( I could be wrong, as i havent researched this, the though had never occured to me before now).

It then it becomes realistic that this number could have come from a 70's engine.

eg the 240K/skyline was also fitted with the L24 as well as the 240Z, so then 2 cars could not both have the same ingine number.

I havent seen any engine numbers for early cars.

Or

It could just be a early head on a later block.

Abas,

Yes, the number is 060039. I'm still a little confused. What 2-4-T-ZMan said makes sense, since it has the E-31 stamped on the block (as well as on the head and early 1970 valve cover). At the same time, what both Mr. Camouflage and MDBrandy said also makes a lot of sense. Perhaps there is someone else out there that will have the definitive answer...... and maybe not. Thanks to all you guys for your help on trying to find this out for my son and me.

Originally posted by abas

Lonetreesteve

This has me intrigued:classic:. I'll talk to a few people I know who might know the answer.

Just make sure you're recognizing the difference in the numbers we're talking about. The 060039 number is raised, and cast into the block under the exhaust manifold, down near the edge of the block skirt. The number on mine actually has a letter in it ("F"). It has always been my understanding that the actual block number is punched on the raised pad next to the L24 punch, on the rear, right side of the engine (passenger side for LHD, drivers side for RHD). But then again, I had never noticed these raised casting areas on the block....