IGNORED

Rear Panel Color

KenFirch

Hi all, first post.   I picked up a 73 240Z a few weeks ago and have a quick question.   I repainted the rear panel yesterday, but notice on some panels I've seen, the thin metal piece that is crimped to the panel surrounding the tail light is chrome and some, painted on others.  While stripping mine it looked like bare mild steel with no evidence of plating, so it's painted.   What's the story on the chrome style trim panels?  

Thanks, Ken

P1080979_zps6252cd9a.jpg

Looks good. What paint did you use?

Dennis

DupliColor wheel paint, Graphite.

Dang, I thought I would've seen some leftover chrome, surely on the backside, if that's the way they came.  So, how do folks fix these?  Replacement chrome piece available?  Remove piece and re-chrome?  Hunt for decent replacements?  Repo's?  Sorry, new to the 240Z scene, I'm sure I'll have a bunch a questions for the experts!

Thanks, Ken

You can have them re-chromed or purchase them refurbished.  But, the chrome strips can be pulled off fairly easy.  You'll have to find the gap where the strip starts and work it from there first.  When I did mine the panel was off the car so it was a lot easier.

I just saw a post from one of our members who will be re-chroming parts for members.  Here's the thread:  http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/50576-affordable-chrome-plating-year-end-forum-promotion/

Wick Humble says they're stainless, page 173.  If you look at the bottom middle you should see the gap, if you have them.  I just did mine with some 0000 steel wool.

+1.  Except for the bumpers, all the shiny trim is stainless.  With some careful use of blue tape, you can polish the taillight trim while still mounted to the rear panels and not damage your nice new paint job.  Removal of the panels is advised.

I agree with sit4eunseen.  Wick Humble describes a lot of the bright work on the 240z as Stainless Steel.  The window frames, drip rails, windshield and hatch window trim,

upper door squeege trim, and, the tailight panel trim are all stainless steel.  If I were to reason why, it would be because many of these items would need to flex to install, or

remove, likely cracking of any applied chrome plating.

Just my two cents!

Dan

Edit;  I'm just toooooo slooooooooooow on the keys. 

Thanks for the info guys! I saw the gap while stripping. I could have sworn it looked like plain ol' steel to me, like the panel itself. I'll take them off (haven't ordered the top plastic rivets yet anyway), take a closer look and post results....