IGNORED

Tapping from head-feedback about rocker wear.

882993md

I have a tapping sound that seems to originate from the valve train. Used a big screwdriver handle to my ear and it was coming from somewhere in the middle portion of the valve cover. I adjusted my valves three times and the tapping persisted.

There is a thread on hybridz about a valve train tapping and several people found that the portion of their rocker that contacted the lash pad was contacting the side of the lash pad and not the middle. I thought I was in the same situation so I removed all my rocker arms. 

This is what I found:

Rocker #8 has a groove that is huge. Also the lash pad for #8 has lopsided wear. 

I posted a thread a few days ago about finding all my passenger side camshaft bearing bolts totally loose. I guess this is the result of unsecured cam shaft bearings. 

I carefully inspected my cam lobes and they look and feel perfect. I am going to order a replacement rocker and lash pad on Monday. Will I have issues since I am not replacing my cam?

I also carefully inspected all the rocker arms and they are perfect except for #6 and #10. They have almost indistinguishable lines that are hard to capture on camera. They are perfectly smooth to the touch and their lash pads have perfect wear.

Howard 

1974 260z

F28153A1-CA61-4E8C-B45A-4FDDC44CED12.jpeg

7444C417-5BBA-4E3D-851E-26C559FE8B09.jpeg

773FC243-DFE9-40AA-97EA-B2F4456B08F2.jpeg

EA54D870-6194-4695-91D3-8F760795BEE2.jpeg

C6371518-972E-4F1A-8178-42C17BCCCD6E.jpeg

Edited by 882993md

A plausible story might be that the PO installed a set of rebuilt rocker arms, didn't inspect them closely, and missed #8.   Or got in a bind and decided to use it anyway.  And didn't properly tighten the bolts.  I can't see how you get a groove like that on #8 except during regrinding of the pad surface.  If the cam lobe had worn out there might be a groove closer to the end, but not where that one is.

If the others are all good you'd probably be okay just replacing the bad parts.

I'm not an expert n the area, just regurgitating knowledge I've consumed, and adding some basics to it.  The cam lobe is the area that almost always has wear problems, not the lash pads.  

Wait a while and you'll probably get some more experienced views.  Doesn't seem like you have a major problem though, just minor details to correct.

Hi guys:

I want to provide an update on the replacement rockers. I installed four new rockers and adjusted the valves cold then I let the car idle for a hot valve adjustment. Great news the tapping is gone and it's just regular valve train noise now!

Howard

Edited by 882993md
  • Like 2