IGNORED

New Nissan L-Series Head, Maybe?

KenFirch

Even when it would be available under 10 grand (Dollar or Euro) it's a big investment.. On the other hand it's a big change in power.. i guess?  (From 150hp SAE to 300hp DIN?)

(Most people forget that our 240z's engines power is measured in SAE NOT DIN.  (150 SAE is about 135 DIN Horsepower??  I estimate..)

4 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Even when it would be available under 10 grand (Dollar or Euro) it's a big investment.. On the other hand it's a big change in power.. i guess?  (From 150hp SAE to 300hp DIN?)

(Most people forget that our 240z's engines power is measured in SAE NOT DIN.  (150 SAE is about 135 DIN Horsepower??  I estimate..)

I think there are a lot more people out there that would pony up $10,000 for this head than most realize. The cheap seats at the super bowl were $9000!!! It was full of people and this head will last a lot longer than the Super bowl! When you look at the cost to build an L motor up to this power level of $12-14,000 then this head isn't out of line. This head would also make it easier to build that kind of power on your own versus relying on a engine shop to port and polish a P90 head. I guess one of my questions is, would the new head only cost $10,000? Maybe it will be $20,000? They will still sell a good many but it will push it out of reach for many. I hope they make it and I hope it's quasi affordable.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I guess one of my questions is, would the new head only cost $10,000? Maybe it will be $20,000? They will still sell a good many but it will push it out of reach for many. I hope they make it and I hope it's quasi affordable.

I think you're right, if you blow $10k on the head it doesn't make sense not to upgrade the pistons, rods, balancer, clutch, flywheel, ...

I was actually knee deep in making this myself.  I am glad I pulled back a few months ago.  My goal was to mass produce them, go cheaper.  

Nissan didn't say they aren't going to sell them, a writer for a magazine did.  I was told from a nismo engineer that it's not off the table.  I guess they are blown away with the response.  

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:27 AM, Captain Obvious said:

@Derek Any input from you? Is this your head?

Not mine. This is based on their KA24 head which is the direction I was looking at originally. The bucket style valve train and integral cam bearings  was going to be a hill too high for me to climb. That's when TonyD suggested looking at the Honda K20. And the rest as they say is history 🙂

I understand why Nismo did this but I don't understand why the aren't going to produce it based on the pictures of the castings I saw. It looks to me that they actually made hard tooling for the exterior and not 3D sand like I use. That's a pretty big expense for a handful of heads. Then again that may be a drop in the bucket for them.

• Like 2